Mellow Audio ME-87i kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrickByBrick

Hey all! First off I want to thank everyone who contributes to this forum. It's such a wealth of knowledge, and having access to a resource like this is most helpful. So I figured it was my time to give some insight into a project I was working on last year.

Picked up a pair of Mellow Audio 87 DIY kits. Found out about them through a Facebook group I'm in. Anyways, they sound killer. Been using them for drum overheads, VO, and rowdy punk vocals this past month. I was able to borrow a friends 70s 87 a year ago and this kit is giving me the same vibes. To me an 87 is like a blank page, you can make it whatever you want, add some top where you need, get some low end going and you're set. On VO I was adding a bit of 60hz, and on OH I was adding a shelf at 10k. Overall its a strong sounding mic.

Kit comes with two PCBS and all the components. I decided to order a pair of Beesneez K8 capsules and AMI transformers.

Got some clips for y'all too. Drum OH is just the mellow 87s and kit is with all the drum mics. Hair of compression on the snare going in and some EQ on the kick. Kit clip I added a HPF and a little 10k shelf to the OH. Super hyped by these mics and how the drums turned out. Never had a kit sound this huge. My only other pair of mics are the Soyuz 013FETs which I've used extensively on drum OH and now I can see why people dig LDC on OH.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/815r6uh6njlke6i/AABFemuCGq7Jji5fGVUjD2U2a?dl=0

Attachments

• IMG_1961.JPG
    IMG_1961.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1960.JPG
    IMG_1960.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I am definitely not a drummer but I bought a Pearl Cajun from Sweetwater to try an add some type of REAL percussion to my acoustic style projects. I used one 87 on the front and one 87 on the port. For my skillset I think it sounds great! This mic is perfect at everything I throw at it. I need to practice more with the Cajun!

Back