MEQ-5 - Alternate psu

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepdark

Hi guys

I just redraw the psu to incorporate more filtering stages. Is it possible to get another look at it, especially the heater elevation part. Thanks :)

im not very good with tube psus but i think your elevated dc will be about 116vdc

33k/(33k+66k)*350v

what i have read about elevated dc, your looking for something like 20-75vdc.

so you might wanna raise the 66k.

thats a lot of filtering by the way :) have a look at the dimensions of thoose highvoltage caps and see that they will fit in your case before you spend alot of money on them.

Thanks, i will give a look at the heater elevation. Yes, its plenty of filtering. But since i'm designing the board and using a 2u, it will not be a problem. I like having a lot of filtering and kill every bit of ripples.

Ok, I've recalculated my voltage divider. If I change my 66K for a 100K and my 33K for a 25K, then my Vout would be 70V. I guess it should be plenty allright. Maybe Ian or someone else could validate it?

> more filtering stages.

Why do you need 160dB of filtering?

47u-2K-47u-2K-47u-2K-47u gives 6uV ripple. If this feeds your first plate, the input ripple will be far below all other tube noises (random hiss and heater racket).

Thanks PRR. I tend to fear about hum so I exagerate things abit loool. I agree 3 stages would be plenty enought. I could have lowered 47 to 22uf, too. Thanks again. Also, is my revised value for the heater elevation ok?

Hey guys, why the original heater elevation is so high? 115V. Is it because they found this value to be optimal for noise performance?

meq-5.jpg

Ok, one thing. The cathode of teh 6AQ5 is about 160v. It's near half the B+ supply (350v). Maximum Heater to cathode DC volts is about 100v. Plus the maximum output rms, let's say 20V x1.414 + 160v = 188.28V. To avoid exceeding it, we must drop it to, at least, 90v so I think it explain why the heater elevation must be around 115v. Someone can correct me? Thanks :0

> Plus the maximum output rms, let's say 20V x1.414

It "can" pull-up much more than that. It may not be "clean". But you don't want your heater insulation to go POP on an unexpected overload.

I suspect the datasheet value of V(hk) can be exceeded. But the datasheet number is conservative. Long-time running above that value may be serious; short peaks may not be.

I guest so lol. I can't ask the dead man but I will trust him. Thanks for the help. I'll stick to my first heater elevation setup, around 115-117v. Should be allright.

Back