Mic modding suggestions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

I didn't know exactly where to put this, so I thought I'd start here in the Brewery.

Thanks to my lack of machining capabilities, I've given up on the idea of scratch-building mics. This has left me with the option of modding existing mics. The Apex 460 looks like a pretty ripe candidate with a good price point to start. Are there any opinions on this mod kit for the 460? http://microphone-parts.com/mod-kits/apex-460-mods/

I'm also interested in the mods being done to the MXL 603s, and am wondering if the same mods could be applied to the V67N: http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/studio/V67N/

My recent adventure with releasing and then unreleasing my first album (I'll go into that story later if anyone really cares) has prompted me to get back into thinking about my tools and how to improve them on a budget.

My primary focus is on making my own musical instruments. Not like making my own guitars and such, but designing new and maybe weird sounds. The ability to capture these instruments, through decent mics and pres, then becomes of greater importance. I think modding existing mics would free up time and money I would rather spend on instrument builds.

dmlandrum said:
My primary focus is on making my own musical instruments...I think modding existing mics would free up time and money I would rather spend on instrument builds.

I don't want to discourage anyone here but if your focus is on making music then it is really better to buy good quality mics to begin with. Purchasing a cheap mic with the intent to modify it is not cost effective once you take into account time and money spent on the necessary upgrades. You will end up spending more time and resources than you think. DIY is neither cheap nor easy.

With that being said, the mics you mentioned have been thoroughly discussed and modded here. Check out the Microphone sub-forum and you will find plenty of info. (check this thread out http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=46004.0)

> making my own musical instruments

That's a much higher calling than mike-modding, IMHO.

There's lots of good mikes. For many-many purposes, you can't beat an EV 635A; for a more high-def sounding sound, the few-hundred dollar condensers are very fine.

Anybody can change caps in a mike. Not just any fool can make musical instruments. From your past posts, I know this is your passion and expertise. As we say when the Corgis chase squirrels: "Always do what you're best at!"

First and foremost, make your instruments and music.
    Just remember that there's not really one mic that sounds good on everything. The more you have, the more chance you have of finding the right mic for each sound source. Get an SM57, one of the many lower-cost condensers (I have a MXL 2003 that I like a lot), and a low-cost ribbon.
    The MXL small-diaphragms (like the 603) sound very good on acoustic guitar with few or no mods, but kinda cheesy on other stuff. I love my Nady ribbon on guitar amps--just learn about checking ribbon tension if you buy used.
    I have done much simpler and cost-effective mods on the 460 (Cinemag transformer and Sino- C12 capsule clone+ a few better caps, nothing boutique or too expensive--maybe $90 cost beyond the price of the mic, thanks to a group-buy on the capsules) and like that mic very much, especially for my own voice.
  I have found some CAD E100s and 200s (electrets) on the used market that sound great on many things, they just require greater attention due to their unique electronics.
    Modding an existing body is faster and more satisfying IMHO, especially if you are new to the whole thing.
  It is addicting.
  I've learned a lot and enjoyed it, but it has taken me away from my own musical goals, so I'd say there is wisdom in all the advice you have been given here.

Oh, none of the instruments I've made so far have been anything special. Some of the ones to come will be much more interesting. ;)

I've been looking at mic modding (and also finishing some of these mic preamps I have most of the parts for) exactly because I would like a decent locker for capturing different instruments and perhaps spaces as well. The modded 460 along with a pair of modded MXL603s or V67Ns looked like it would be a good first start. I already have an Audix i5 which has turned out to be a pretty good general purpose mic, and an MXL V67G with a bad noise problem I still need to look into. I also have an Apex 210 ribbon modded with a new transformer, but I think I need to re-ribbon it (not looking forward to that job).

This is going to be part of a long-term project to revamp my studio. Instruments still take priority. :)

Back