Midas XL42 - Mains Xformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siox

Hello,

I have a XL42 with a defective mains xformer on my workbench.

The transformer is a NUVOTEM 90348-P4S2. I am not able to find a datasheet and the musicgroup support couldn't help.

According to the schematics i would guess that the secondary winding muss supply something like 2x 25 volts so the 18V regulators can do their job properly and the phantom supply has enough volts to work also...

Any recommadation for a replacement xformer much appreciated.

XL42 Service Manual

Thank you,
Georg

A 2x18V transformer is good enough. The bridge rectifier + smoothing caps will raise the DC voltage enough for the regulators to work properly.

Page 18 says mains consumption is 40W, so a 50W transformer will be sufficient.

Thank you for your reply! You are right with your guess.

Meanwhile Nuvotem was so kind and replied to my mail. I will leave this here as reference:

image001.png

I already ordered a 2x22V transformator, do you think the circuit will handle the higher voltage? I guess the 18V regulators yes, but I am not sure about the phantom power supply.

Thank you,
Georg

Your service manual link doesn´t work for me any more. Anyway, a higher AC voltage will create a higher DC voltage which the regulators will have to dissipate in form of heat. That mens unnecessary stress for heat sensitive parts without any benefit. Besides that the PSU caps might see a higher voltage across them. Make sure their voltage rating is sufficient.

Back