Mila Power Transformer Suggestions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldstache

Amassing parts for a mila, and want to know what Power Supply options are available.  Can't source a Stancor.  And the Hammond 369ax is a lil' too pricey.
Suggestions?????
Thanks

What's your budget and where are you located?

I like the G9 trick of using two 15V torroids back to back.  You can do that for about $40.

I live in Akron OH.  I would like to keep it in the $30-40 range.  I plan on building the power supply as a separate breakout box.  Also including a 48 volt DC phantom pwr module.  This is my first Pre build.  But I've been building tube guitar amps for a few years and am anxious to do this project.  Any insight is helpful.
Where'd ya get those toroidals from????
Never worked with em'. 
Maybe one a few years back in a tube guitar pedal.

goldstache said:
I live in Akron OH.  I would like to keep it in the $30-40 range.  I plan on building the power supply as a separate breakout box.  Also including a 48 volt DC phantom pwr module.  This is my first Pre build.  But I've been building tube guitar amps for a few years and am anxious to do this project.  Any insight is helpful.
Where'd ya get those toroidals from????
Never worked with em'. 
Maybe one a few years back in a tube guitar pedal.

Do a search for "TRIAD VPT TOROIDAL POWER TRANSFORMER".  The idea is you get two identical transformers:  the place the second one "in reverse" to go back to 120VAC.  That's good for 170V or so on the secondary if full wave rectified.  If you get 36V secondary you should be able to pull out a 48V phantom power tap as well.

It's a very cost effective way to power a mike pre.

Here's what I'm using on my MILAs

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70008994

Allied 6K1VF
PRI: 110-120V: 60HZ,
250VCT@25DCMA,
6.3V @1.0A,
LEADS
$17.31

DustbRo,
Does that transformer work for 2 channels of the MILA-1? And if so what changes if any, did you apply to the PSU circuit?

Thanks,
Brice

don't skimp: make an external supply with enough juice for a couple projects; antek does some affordable transformers...surplus ammo boxes make decent enclosures.

shabtek said:
don't skimp: make an external supply with enough juice for a couple projects;

I agree, a PSU isn't something you wanna skimp on... but if I do the math real quick, I calculate that each channel consumes around 11mA of power. So 2 channels would be 22mA. Very close to the 25mA power transformer but would probably work.

I went with an Edcor XPWR104-120.  Also, I see in everybody's pics that the 4k7 Cap is always a Jantzen style.  Is that the only "hifi" cap in the audio path??????

Im using mallory, and F&T.
Also..... What kind of switch did everyone use.  I would like it to have 4 selections, or five so I can experiment a bit. 

Thanks a bunch for the insight everybody.

"who" at  don-audio.com had a nice one, I purchased one a while ago, its pricey with shipping to the states.  It puts out tad more than is advertised but it is easier to take away than to make more magically appear.  Plus it has a 48 volt winding that works perfectly with Bo Hanson's simple zener phantom power supply( I use it on just one channel).  It was odd that the 6.3V heater leads were solid copper with a coating on them that was difficult to get off, had to bust out the old buck pocket knife, scrape, then solder together.

Back