Modding a Røde NTK

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spocken81

For the first time in my life I've tried to modify my equipment... Guess it was an easy way to start but now I'm hooked! DIY rules! :) from now on... if I need something new to my studio, I'll build it myself!

Anyway here's a link to my blog post with sound examples: http://dubmus.com/modding-a-rode-ntk/

Let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Are your sure you are hearing a tube change the sound?
If you search you might find the schematic.
note how the tube is used

I'm sure... Are you telling me the tube ain't affecting the sound? What role does it play then? I've found your handdrawn schematic before, I'm not quite there yet so that I can look at a schematic and draw any conclusions out of that... But it does look like mic c (capsule?) and then line down to the tube...

When listening on a good pair of headphones or speakers I think the sound with the stock tube is grainy in the high end. It's harsh and not as clear as with the Telefunken. The Telefunken seems to handle transients better as well. Plus it's warmer

I haven't done a blind rest yet, guess I have to do it, but I can't believe it's my mind messing with me... Or is it.. No, it can't be...

Go to my post and switch between "RK12 + Telefunken (burn in)" and "RK12 + stock tube", don't you hear the difference?

Back