Modern technology to the rescue... (smart battery chargers)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Within the last week I have saved two big lead acid batteries from the recycle pile.

My neighbor's old ACM boat battery and another big old lead acid battery that I use for my tree sprayer. Both batteries declined to accept a satisfactory normal charge. My NOCO Genius5 was able to rescue both batteries using "repair" mode. The smart charger has a higher voltage repair mode to correct sulfation/stratification. This higher voltage current pulse repair mode will run for up to 4 hours and time out if it doesn't reach 16.5V.

Both batteries I tried this on this week were rehabilitated. Over a few years of using this smart charger I have only seen one battery that could not be saved.

JR

Is there any such charger for lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries?
IDK, AFAIK the NOCO Genius technology is about correcting sulfation and stratification in lead acid batteries.

The charger has a "lithium" mode for charging 12V lithium car batteries but only if they have internal battery management systems built in.

===

Small rechargeable lithium ion batteries, like I use in my solar driveway lamps have a finite number of charge cycles.

I don't know if there is a known battery life mechanism that can be electronically rehabilitated.

JR

TMI unless you geek out on stuff like this (like I do): "Why do Li-ion batteries die and can they be immortal?"

Good to know about the Genius5 recharger. My Genius Li-ion jump starter has saved my butt multiple times, but it doesn't have as much capacity as it used to. I credit that to it getting too cold too many times.

Back