more spam tonight, how to report

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Pink

What is the preferred protocol for this, do the moderators want every single indecent reported, or will it suffice to report one from each poster?

Just trying to help, I hate spam. You ought to see how I handle telemarketers. Once had a telemarketing manager call me back, acting like he had some inalienable right to steal from me, using my phone line that I pay for, for his marketing purposes without my permission, this is by definition "theft of service", and tell me that I was rude and made one of his employees cry.

I smiled, hearing of the success, and explained to him "Give me a minute and I'll make you cry too, you low-life piece of bla bla bla". The conversation went somewhat downhill from there, as you can imagine.
:)

Pardon the venting,
Gene

Gene Pink said:
What is the preferred protocol for this, do the moderators want every single indecent reported, or will it suffice to report one from each poster?
I can only speak for myself, but one report per spammer is preferred by me. I generally go to the spammer's profile, view "all posts" then delete them one at a time from that one screen.  But that takes time when they post a bunch of the same thing.

This morning I only got one fresh spammer to delete, nipped him at one post. .

Gyraf got the bulk of this recent batch last night while I was offline. But I still had to check the reports JIC.

We get emails from every member report so less is generally better . If you see obvious spam especially if  around for more than a few hours report it.  Some spams get multiple member reports. 

FWIW I delete some spammers before they get reported if they are dumb enough to spam where I can see them.
Just trying to help, I hate spam. You ought to see how I handle telemarketers. Once had a telemarketing manager call me back, acting like he had some inalienable right to steal from me, using my phone line that I pay for, for his marketing purposes without my permission, this is by definition "theft of service", and tell me that I was rude and made one of his employees cry.
good work...  they are barely one step removed from spammers. It's the cheap internet phone service that enables them but I too have had them call me back.. but only once per puke... they soon realize they are wasting their time too.
I smiled, hearing of the success, and explained to him "Give me a minute and I'll make you cry too, you low-life piece of bla bla bla". The conversation went somewhat downhill from there, as you can imagine.

Pardon the venting,
Gene
I can imagine...  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Gyraf got the bulk of this recent batch last night while I was offline. But I still had to check the reports JIC.

We get emails from every member report so less is generally better . If you see obvious spam especially if  around for more than a few hours report it.  Some spams get multiple member reports. 
Got it. I over-reported last night, sorry.

I saw some a few hours ago, didn't report, and they were gone in 20 minutes. Thanks to all moderators for doing this task.

Gene

Gene Pink said:
JohnRoberts said:

I saw some a few hours ago, didn't report, and they were gone in 20 minutes. Thanks to all moderators for doing this task.

Gene
And thanks to Ethan who is constantly hardening the site...

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I can only speak for myself, but one report per spammer is preferred by me. I generally go to the spammer's profile, view "all posts" then delete them one at a time from that one screen.  But that takes time when they post a bunch of the same thing.

FWIW I delete some spammers before they get reported if they are dumb enough to spam where I can see them.
JR

Do you just delete their posts or do you also delete their accounts?

Cheers

ian

ruffrecords said:
JohnRoberts said:

JR

Do you just delete their posts or do you also delete their accounts?

Cheers

ian
We have to do both...  Delete the posts one at a time, then delete the account.

If just the account is deleted, the spam posts remain saying the poster is a guest. 

Ethan has made improvements to reduce spam and is working on more.

JR

Gene Pink said:
JohnRoberts said:

Gene

Hi all

-maybe an idea to avoid lot of automatic mail to the moderator from lot of reporter that click report button, is just to post "reported" as reply after you click. So other members see the topic already reported, and if not your the first, and report...

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Gene Pink said:
JohnRoberts said:

Gene

Hi all

-maybe an idea to avoid lot of automatic mail to the moderator from lot of reporter that click report button, is just to post "reported" as reply after you click. So other members see the topic already reported, and if not your the first, and report...

Best
Zam
I think that is already on the list...

right now it's a trade off between mod's time and Ethan's time (having to code up new features.)

Thanks for thinking about this...  I have started logging on again before I go to sleep to clean up any late night spam... while Gyraf gets the middle of the night (here) stuff...

JR

zamproject said:
-maybe an idea to avoid lot of automatic mail to the moderator from lot of reporter that click report button, is just to post "reported" as reply after you click. So other members see the topic already reported, and if not your the first, and report.
That is good. To go a step farther to minimize duplicate reports and then erasing all of those extra "reported" posts, a dedicated "flag as spam" button, set up the same way as the "like" button, but also triggers emails to moderators.

Instead of a "heart", it adds the attached icon to posts, so we will all know that someone has already flagged it, and the rest of us don't have to duplicate it, thus only one report broadcasted to the moderators per spam poster, in theory.

I suggest this, because [sarchasm]I'm sure Ethan is just sitting around twiddling his thumbs, bored, with nothing else to do[/sarchasm].

Thanks, Ethan.

Gene

Attachments

• spam.png
    spam.png
    7 KB
Gene Pink said:
zamproject said:
-maybe an idea to avoid lot of automatic mail to the moderator from lot of reporter that click report button, is just to post "reported" as reply after you click. So other members see the topic already reported, and if not your the first, and report.
That is good. To go a step farther to minimize duplicate reports and then erasing all of those extra "reported" posts, a dedicated "flag as spam" button, set up the same way as the "like" button, but also triggers emails to moderators.

Instead of a "heart", it adds the attached icon to posts, so we will all know that someone has already flagged it, and the rest of us don't have to duplicate it, thus only one report broadcasted to the moderators per spam poster, in theory.

I suggest this, because [sarchasm]I'm sure Ethan is just sitting around twiddling his thumbs, bored, with nothing else to do[/sarchasm].

Thanks, Ethan.

Gene
Some of you may remember how hard it was to join this forum (Pink).

The war against SPAM is fought on multiple fronts. I prefer effort on improving the barriers to keep them out, over making it easier to police them.

Kind of like the dichotomy between tolerating and policing terrorist acts,  or vaporizing the suckers before they act. 

We can build a better wall which for now seems prudent...

JR

Latest posts

Back