Most unusual Mixer project...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP hasn't been online since 2011.

When undertaking a complex project, perhaps make small building blocks that you can combine together, after they work suitably.

JR

A good reggae system is constituted of heterogenous gear randomly assembled, without any consideration for directivity patterns, polarity and frequency response; it must be huge and flashy (chrome speaker surrounds and horns are a bonus).
Scooped bass bins are are appreciated by ganja smokers who can lie down on them.
Mid and high cabinets do not need to be connected since reggae is only bass and kick drum.
:D :love:

P.S: I love reggae (Toots, Cliff, Melodians, Boothe, Dekker...)
Thanks for that desciption. Now I want that stuff as well |-(

The quality (or lack of) of the electronics is almost immaterial.
The aim is to be able to produce as much BASS as possible. An exponential horn loaded speaker would be an interesting direction to take. the final 'flare' (Front) of the horn when dimensioned to convey 40Hz would be around 3 metres (yards) by 3 metres (I believe). I had been party to a crazy idea of doing tis many years ago and concluded that each (bass) speaker would be best built as it's own trailer (towable as we wanted portability for roadshows). Designs from early theatres/picture houses might be interesting as they could fill an auditorium with an amplifier power of very few Watts because the acoustic coupling was so much better than 'box' speakers.
At my first paid employment I wired equipment racks and we built one for a juy who wanted the rack to look 'smart' so we had christmas lights and frosted perspex panels. He had a 200 Watt Valve power amp and when fed with low frequency drums the steel top plate would get magnetically attracted so 'play along'! Those power amps were usually supplied for 'PA' at exhibition grounds so feeding a hundred small horn speakers at a couple of watts each via 100 Volt line.

Latest posts

Back