MOTU 828es Intermittent Latency with Reaper

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C12VR

Hello,
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I have a Motu 828es which I am running into Reaper. The problem occurs about five minutes after startup, when latency increases to 11000 samples, while the reported latency stays at 2.0ms in/out. Resetting the device preferences solves the problem temporarily, but it recurs in about the same time frame as before. Is this a hardware issue or am I doing something smooth brain with the software?

the driver is updated to the most recent from the website. Firmware not sure. Will check after I do what Newmarket suggested.
Edit: Works fine on my personal mac through GarageBand. Audio setup is on a Windows equipped device. The plot thickens.

Last edited:
Firmware updated, no change on the windows device. Damn this is annoying; MOTU tech service is literally locked to the original owner's registration.

Different DAW on the Windows PC ?
Are you using ASIO drivers ?
I use Reaper on the windows. I am using the latest ASIO driver direct from Motu and I updated the firmware as well. It is now a persistent issue.

USB or Thunderbolt? If the latter, are you using a compatible TB card / adapter with proper drivers installed? Fwiw I have an 828es stable on Reaper 5.7 and Win 10 via Thunderbolt (tho every few boots the 828 isn't detected and I have to reboot), so it is possible.

Do you have another interface to try with Reaper / another windows DAW to try with the 828? What are your buffer settings like in the MOTU AVB app?

Bu
USB or Thunderbolt? If the latter, are you using a compatible TB card / adapter with proper drivers installed? Fwiw I have an 828es stable on Reaper 5.7 and Win 10 via Thunderbolt (tho every few boots the 828 isn't detected and I have to reboot), so it is possible.

Do you have another interface to try with Reaper / another windows DAW to try with the 828? What are your buffer settings like in the MOTU AVB app?
USB; buffer settings are 32 samples in the app.

Try it with Cakewalk (Bandlab) as that is free.
I was going to suggest Audacity bit then remembered that it doesn't come ready to go with ASIO capability for legal reasons. You can "build it yourself" from script and include ASIO support.

Might also depend on the enabled channel count? If you're not using any AVB streams, maybe try disabling those (set to zero)? Or rather, the number of channels routed into / out of the computer...

Latest posts

Back