Mounting 500 series flat

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemo504

would it be possible for me to mount my cranbourne 500 rack w/ 8 capi pres flat (knobs pointing to the sky like a normal console)?
I noticed it gets pretty toasty on top of the rack and am concerned if the heat will dissipate correctly.
I have seen people use 500 series in this way but wanted to make sure I dont damage anything.

I’ve seen a lot of gear mounted this way and I’ve seen quite a bit fail over time from over-cooking. Consoles obviously use this positioning and plastic parts cook and become brittle over the years. Meters also collect the heat. A lot of 500 series units don’t run too warm, so they might be fine forever, but tube and class-A stuff gets hot.

Ask some manufacturers what they think.

If you do mount vertically, make sure the 500 rack is ventilated and allow cooling space and maybe some quiet pc fans inside the rack? Server rack fans pull air from gear and ouch it out the back (bottom) in your case.

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds kinda like a grey area where there could be potential long term issues.

Got this response from the company that built a few of my VP28.
"Yes that is definitely possible. I would suggest making sure you do have some sort of decent airflow for the rack though as the Pres can get very hot. You shouldn’t damage anything with proper airflow. If the placement cost off all of the air venting and there is nowhere for it to dissipate I would not recommend it. Hope this helps. "

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds kinda like a grey area where there could be potential long term issues.

Got this response from the company that built a few of my VP28.
"Yes that is definitely possible. I would suggest making sure you do have some sort of decent airflow for the rack though as the Pres can get very hot. You shouldn’t damage anything with proper airflow. If the placement cost off all of the air venting and there is nowhere for it to dissipate I would not recommend it. Hope this helps. "
Can you leave one or more slots open in the 500 rack? Kinda hurts to do that, but provides exit for hot air. Maybe use a vented 500 blanking panel

Latest posts

Back