Mounting PCB in project box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use these for most of my PCB mounting

http://za.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0609297

If that has expired, go to http://za.rs-online.com/ & search for

609-297

Peter

+1 for those style of standoffs...super easy to use, and i have never had a problem with one coming unstuck.

Mouser carries them under the brand eagle plastics iirc

I use the Eagle plastic standoffs in guitar fx pedals (Mouser part# 561-LAD187) but I almost always add a bit of glue on one edge to make sure it stays down. The adhesive is fairly sticky but I'm worried about it long term.

Another method that I have used is to glue an threaded aluminum spacer to the box and then use a short 4-40 screw through the pcb into the spacer. This allows me to remove the pcb more easily than trying to get it off the plastic Eagle standoff.  If you use the right glue, the aluminum spacer will be stuck down forever...  I had to remove a pair of threaded spacers to reuse an old box just last week, and after 20+ years, it took a pair of pliers and some muscle to get the spacers off the box!  Here is a glue that is good to use:

http://www.jdindustrialsupply.com/plumbing.html

regards, Jack

pittsburgh said:
Do all Hammond boxes come with mounting hardware? I'm planning on purchasing a Hammond box for this build.

The point is that if you design the PCB to fit the box, you don't need mounting hardware. It just slides into place.

-a

Wow!  Great tip on those adhesive standoffs.  I had no idea those were out there.  And here I am measuring and drilling holes like a sucker...

I really like aluminum stand offs, but I agree that drilling holes to mount them sucks. If you have a picture of the PCB on your computer, you can print that off and use it as a drill template.

I recently discovered JB weld though. No more drilling, and I still get to use aluminum stand offs. Works like a charm!

Insomniaclown said:
I recently discovered JB weld though. No more drilling, and I still get to use aluminum stand offs. Works like a charm!

JB Weld is tough stuff and I like it, but the adhesive that I linked in an earlier message will stay semi-flexible even after years, while JBW can get brittle.  Either works, but I prefer the softer stuff for long term.  ;D

Best regards, Jack

Would I run into problems if I use epoxy gorilla glue to adhere my 5mm nylon spacers to my case (housing unit)?

Application would go like this:

Metal case -> Spacers (nylon) -> PCB

Im new to builds, please cut me some slack lol.

Appreciate it if anyone could follow up on this.

Really the best way is to get a cheap small pillar drill (<100eur) and just drill and countersink holes. It takes a bit of practice but it's by far the most reliable and best looking option once you get the hang of it

Here's how I create drill hole markers for metal standoffs in DIY projects. Demonstrated on cardboard., but works very well on metal cases too. Just might need a bit more marker paint and downward pressure on the PCB when "printing."

For handdrilling, I start with a very small centered hole and with a set of drills heads gradually widen up to 3.2 for M3 screws. Holes are perfect 11 out of 12. That one remaining hole calls for a round file on the metal hole or the hole on the PCB. Overall fast and I don't even use oil for drilling -- I don't like the mess.

Attachments

• Drill holes.jpg
    Drill holes.jpg
    82.5 KB

Latest posts

Back