Multi-Pole In-line Connectors for Power Distribution in Console?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Hi,

I've been using computer-type HD inline connectors, but have noticed that the contacts aren't that great and the ground impedance varies according to how tight they are.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a connector that can perform a similar duty, but with better reliability? Gold plated contacts would be a bonus.

This would do the job, but at 16A rating I'm a little concerned it won't be optimum for the 3-400mA flowing between layers in this console: http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Elkay-Shrouded-Terminal-Block-Plug-Socket-63848

Thanks in advance.

Anyone? Something with a high current rating, between 4-10 way?

I realise I can use XLRs, but they're long and heavy.

Thanks

It has been a while since I messed with this end of things. At Peavey I pretty much used headers and parts that were already in the system. IIRC I didn't use the headers on 0.1" spacing for power because they were too wimpy, but the larger connectors on 0.150" centers spacing were more robust.. Something like 40 mil square pins, but this is from memory so don't depend on my recollection. Most connectors will provide specs, more current is better. 

Note: since then I have used 0.1" headers for lower power applications

JR

thermionic said:
Does anyone have a suggestion for a connector that can perform a similar duty, but with better reliability? Gold plated contacts would be a bonus.

We use things like this in our power supplies. I can look up other parts which handle higher current in the morning.

-a

thermionic said:
Hi,

I've been using computer-type HD inline connectors, but have noticed that the contacts aren't that great and the ground impedance varies according to how tight they are.

This would do the job, but at 16A rating I'm a little concerned it won't be optimum for the 3-400mA flowing between layers in this console: http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Elkay-Shrouded-Terminal-Block-Plug-Socket-63848

Thanks in advance.
These
http://fr.farnell.com/phoenix-contact/1792278/fiche-male-90deg-ci-5v-5-08mm/dp/3705470?MER=en-me-pd-r2-acce-con
http://fr.farnell.com/phoenix-contact/1755765/embase-male-verticalee-ci-5v-5/dp/3705298
will provide the same service as the Elkey's, meaning they'll have the same electrolytic oxidation problems under DC current. They exist in gold contacts but probably on special order.
Anyway, what is your concern with ground impedance? Are you using these connections to ensure audio ground continuity? Is it a permanent configuration or is it meant to be dismantled/moved everyday?
I would use an additional as-short-as-possible cable wiith 1/4" Faston for audio ground.

Thanks. A GP version of the Farnell connector would be ideal - although I don't need 10,000 of them... 

The console is made from 4 x 3mm alloy wafers, with each having an assortment of EQs, Preamps etc attached via stand-offs. For servicing (and no doubt ensuing weeks of tweaking...), the 2 outer wafers have to be removed to enable access to the inner layers - hence the need for a connector. I've pretty much resigned myself to keeping the HD-type connector for +ve / -ve / audio Ground, and a crimp-style Faston for a separate Fader GND. When decent contact is made I get 80+ dB of fader cut. If the connector is moved around it can lose as much as 20dB... Grrr...

Andy Peters said:
thermionic said:

We use things like this in our power supplies. I can look up other parts which handle higher current in the morning.

-a
Yup that looks like the series I used for decent current handling,  but not with gold plating.

JR

Back