MXL & others w/797 capsule: compile definitive list ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asked Behringer about 797 caapsules in present and past mics, here's the official answer:

Subject Greetings Behringer: I'm interested to know with of your large condesor mics,... Discussion Thread Response (Jim Savery)13/10/2004 10.46 PM Thanks for writing Brad. While I think we have worked with 797 as a supplier in the past, I cannot say that they ever made capsules for us. BEHRINGER has its own in-house capsule manufacturing lines, and I simply do not know that anyone else's capsules have even been used. I know that the BEHRINGER C1, for example, is made entirely in-house by us.

Sorry that I could not be of more help on this specific question.

Best Regards,

Jim Savery

BTW No replies to date from MXL or Nady, although MXL did respond to an earlier query of mine and said they do not sell replacement capsules for any of their mics.

the 990 and 991 are the exact same capsule and circuit, only the 990 has it in a side address large body with a big brass baffle ring.

here's a bunch of pics I took that shows how the 990, 991, and 603s are all pretty much identical, both capsule and circuit:

http://gromit.usedforcomparison.com/~tmbg/mics/

it's a 20mm capsule, nothing like the 34mm 797 capsule that was being discussed.

Thanks... I don´t think it´s a 797... Is it?

mxl990-large-3.jpg

I'm wondering about these mics:

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_m2.html

I don't recall anyone else using a Chinese 21mm SDC capsule. (of course my memory sucks sometimes :wink:) I must say these are unique looking mics.

[quote author="Flatpicker"]http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_m2.html[/quote]

At least one of their mics looks just like one of the Nady mics made by Alctron in China...

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="rafafredd"]Anyone has a link to a 797 capsule picture?[/quote]

Someone could post a pic of a SP C4, Marik has extolled the virtues of those in the past, and as compared to the 990/991 capsule; they are 797s small diaphragms. I don't think the MXLs are 797s, except for the 2003. But, they've had enough time to polish their 1" capsule found most everywhere else in their line. Anybody have a pic of the cap in the 960 tube mics?

I thought that all those MXL mics (V67, V63, 201, 2003, 1006, etc...) were 797 capsules.

Anyway, if anyone has a MXL2003 and could take some pics of the inside, it would be really nice.

But what about the SP C3, and T3? I´ve used those mics more than once and I love it. It´s a dual capsule. Anyone have a clue about those? I don´t think 797 make duals...

[quote author="rafafredd"]I thought that all those MXL mics (V67, V63, 201, 2003, 1006, etc...) were 797 capsules.

Anyway, if anyone has a MXL2003 and could take some pics of the inside, it would be really nice.

But what about the SP C3, and T3? I´ve used those mics more than once and I love it. It´s a dual capsule. Anyone have a clue about those? I don´t think 797 make duals...[/quote]

You've got it backwards Raf, all SPs are 797s, some MXLs are 797s, the only one I know of for sure at present is the 2003. There was a lots of in house switcheroos at MXL after the origanl crop of Shanghai stuff, the stuff S. Dorseys Schoeps circuit mod applies to; they have there own manufacturing contratcs in China at places other than 797. The 2001 was declared a passable capsule (but not a 797) by D Royer when he published his tube mod. I won't speak for everyone who's done that mod to the 2003 but it seems close to consensus it's more worth it to mod a 2003 than a 2001.

2003 797s are 34mm, lots of the in house MXLs are 32mm. 797 does in fact make duals, there's a longstanding and delayed group buy on the Blackmarket for the 6micron 34mm duals from the Hyatts.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5497

there is a picture in the microphone meta?

MXL603 stuff and C4

http://www.pmiaudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58

Here are pics of the inside of my Nady SCM1000:

scm1000_001.jpg

scm1000_002.jpg

scm1000_003.jpg

Someone else will have to say whether this is a 797 or not. You do get some nice WIMA caps and a few 1 gig and 51 meg resistors with this mic.

-Scott

looks like 797 to me. the capsule the mount and the metal plate all look 797.

Scott try that capsule in your tube microphone. You might like it.

Thanks for the pictures.

[quote author="Gus"]looks like 797 to me. the capsule the mount and the metal plate all look 797.

Thanks for the pictures.[/quote]

$120 for the whole mic pounds the snot out of Hyatt's $100 for the capsule alone. Nady says this is 1.1" 3 micron. Scattered reports of wrinkled diaphragms however.

Another 797 mic to add to the list: the original JOeemeek JM47 (not the new version) is a 797. One caveat for anyone who might be looking to pick one up to mod: it's a transformerless design, & there's no room really to add a transformer.

Tom

[quote author="Gus"]looks like 797 to me. the capsule the mount and the metal plate all look 797.

Thanks for the pictures.[/quote]

Thanks, Gus. The ela m251e uses a capsule with separated backplates (one lead for each backplate), whereas this capsule has the backplates connected together. I suppose that it would still work for omni and cardioid patterns, but the figure-of-8 pattern won't work.

Back