My 550A Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone's a chatty cathy!!  Yeah, we're getting pretty close here.  Just waiting on the knobs which will be a little while still.

Volker started a thread  [ for the jensamp ] and left place markers in so he could update the posts and have them all on the first page
seems like a good idea for your build thread , congrats !

Also I'll use this thread  [ and not clog the order  one ] to say again Looks great

Hello Horvis, this project looks amazing!

I don't want to sound ungrateful at all for all of the hard work (which it looks like A LOT) that went in to this), but what are the chances of having the option to mount a pair in a 1ru similar to the API 5500 (i.e. interchangeable greyhills so that the controls would be vertical rather than horizontal like you had mention on page 2 I believe).  Can the switches be mounted off board possibly?  Worst case I'm sure I can just invest in a 2 channel 500 series enclosure (like the A Designs Audio 500HR) but I would much rather not if I don't have to.

Again, thank you so much for the new project!  I never cease to be amazed around here...

-Taylor

Well you know.. this is DIY so anything is possible given enough time/money/effort.  That being said, it's probably a waste of at least a few of those things to try.  By the time you do a custom front panel, rack, PSU, connectors, etc.. is it worth it?  As far as mounting stuff off board, I VERY strongly suggest not doing any sort of mods at all on this project.  Perhaps Igor's microrack is an option?

Please post any further technical questions in the build thread.

without necessarily stating which one is better or worse cause that's totally subjective what are the key differences between this project and Jeff's upcoming Love Child technically and possibly sonically?

Well, I'll let Jeff speak to his LC in more detail so I don't say anything wrong about it but to compare this EQ and his is not really reasonable since they are completely different animals.

Please go read about Jeff's LC here:
http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=321

His is all new and of his own design (and looking pretty amazing I might add!!), while mine is simply an implementation of the original 550A design.

Brian

Back