My DIY Plate is done and works like a charm :)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the next future project is maybe some bx20 spring or something. That stuff is great too!!
I had a BX10 a while back..
I put it on the same send with an early digital rev and returned it separately then mixed the returns as needed. Stand alone the BX10 was noisy and boinky but mixed with the 16 bit digital was pretty cool...on side died and a friend bought it.
Never heard the bigger BX20.
ENJOY YOUR BEATIFUL PLATE

G

I missed this the first time around, but after the recent postings bubbled it back to the top of the page I read through the old posts as well to get caught up.
The recordings sound really nice.
How do you decide on the tension for the mounting turnbuckles? Does the plate just rest lightly on the mounts, or do you stretch the plate tight?

Hi All!

I wanted to share with you my road to make an EMT140 inspired plate reverb with a damper controllable with MIDI

Here my complete building "manual" with pictures, links and considerations:

HuntPlatePlan.pdf

If you guys don't want to read go to Login • Instagram for some instant movies (you may like and follow of course !)

1 picture attached with the guts :)
When I was in college (late '60s early 70's) I worked at a local radio station. I had the spec sheet for the plate revervb for several years already. The owner had attended NAB and came back with the idea that, adding reverb to the live/talk radio somehow would increase the average modulation level and sound better. Most reverb units of the dat were cheesy springs, but I said, we can try a plate. Picked up a sheet of galvanized metal (4x8) from the local heating shop, a bunch oc copper pipe to build the frame, and put it in the basement. I don't remember the transducers exactly, though one was a magnetic earphone with the diaphragm removed (remember the metal plate over an electromagnet construction?), used a Shure M67 to boost the pickup and fed it to the console. All in all it didn't sound bad, nice and smooth, but wasn't a hit. The only thing the station manager could say was "it sounds hollow". It remained unused in the basement. Not sure what he though reverb was supposed to sound like. We didn't include a damper plate, so always full reverb at whatever injection level we chose. I still have the classic spec sheet from Gotham around here somewhere.

I missed this the first time around, but after the recent postings bubbled it back to the top of the page I read through the old posts as well to get caught up.
The recordings sound really nice.
How do you decide on the tension for the mounting turnbuckles? Does the plate just rest lightly on the mounts, or do you stretch the plate tight?
I tensioned it pretty tight, not as tight as possible. I just listened and tensioned on "feel". I know how an emt is supposed to sound when you hit it lightly. Its a bit like a drumhead, I hit it lightly with a drum stick and then tensioned until the sound was as uniform as possible everywhere I hit it.

fantastic work.
something I've always wanted to DIY but something always comes up as a roadblock.
greta job. this is inspiring.
thank you! I also added a sort of build manual/documentation to my first post, with all the steps and my considerations. I wish I had something like that when I started ;)

Thats a great job you made of the plate Robin ,
I have to admit to only skimming your article so far ,
but Id like to find out more about how you arrived at your choice of plate drive set up .

Thats a great job you made of the plate Robin ,
I have to admit to only skimming your article so far ,
but Id like to find out more about how you arrived at your choice of plate drive set up .
Thanks, I tried making something close to the original emt 140 option. I demolished a common and future proof buyable visaton speaker for the magnet and voice coil. So if the voice coil would burn out, its easily re-buyable. I turned a piece of aluminium for connection the voice coil to the plate.

I didn't want to use a "Exciter" as there is much more mass attached to the plate.

Hi again guys...my self made 4x8 plate pales by comparison to Robin Hunts beauty. But it sounds really good. I struggled with the drive issue and I must say having a small 8" woofer and a 1" JBL horn driver about 2 inches away from the metal plate surface REALLY WORKED GREAT...XOVER IS 500 HZ and a spare 10 band EQ on the send before the (30 watt tube amp) was crucial as it did not take much low end to slam the metal. (I used a jbl 2462 which is phenolic 1" driver to cross into it at 500hz...could go lower I suspect. Mine is likely NOT an EMT clone...Try this drive setup if you like. Plate CANNOT be in the tracking room as it is microphonic...unless you want to use it for drum ambience..which is useful sometimes..
G

Hello
I was thinking about your design... and wondered if you think it would sound as good if the plate was horizontal / parallel to the floor ? My idea is that in my rather small and cluttered Parisian appartment a good place to have the plate outside of the mix room would be ... under my bed :)

Back