MY FRONT PANEL DESIGN pls comment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheadstedford

Hello prodigy pro people. Here is my design for a stereo mix bus compressor with blend function.
Please let me know what you are thinking in terms of looks, layout and functionallity.
This is for the aesthetics section of my uni dissertation so all critisisms are welcome.
Oh and the name isnt final.
Thank you for your time everyone

Shouts to Rukus, Ptownkid, SSLTech, PRR and anyone who has helped me to learn so much so far!

Attachments

• SDSL 2U front panel.jpg
    SDSL 2U front panel.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 215
sheadstedford said:
Hello prodigy pro people. Here is my design for a stereo mix bus compressor with blend function.
Please let me know what you are thinking in terms of looks, layout and functionallity.
This is for the aesthetics section of my uni dissertation so all critisisms are welcome.
Oh and the name isnt final.
Thank you for your time everyone

Shouts to Rukus, Ptownkid, SSLTech, PRR and anyone who has helped me to learn so much so far!

Hi,

can you post a pic in a higher resolution because I can not read some things?

But it looks nice on a first view.

Personally I like it more having the compression meter directly located to the threshold and ratio knobs as there is the most interaction in the unit-just my opinion :).

Maybe you should leave out this pic (is it a face?) on the far right...

You should write ratio or so instead of compression because compression means more the behaviour and treatment of signals in all parameters incl. attack,release etc. while ratio means the amount/relationship of how much the signal will be decreased.

What does the VCA button mean(this compressor is a VCA-based one ;))-is it the second sidechain like in the GSSL (Oxford or TURBO)?

The colour choice is nice!

Best,

Udo.

Thanks guys!
The pic is a face yeah, my face/logo stamp but as far as the ratio/compression i hear you! Ill change it.
Vca in is just compressor in and the sidechain is the gssl turbo. Its basically an SB4000 with a CnB function. I tried uploading the original but i could only have up to 300kb and the original is 1.8 mb
Thanks for your input, its duely noted!!

[/quote]I tried uploading the original but i could only have up to 300kb and the original is 1.8 mb[/quote]

The pic you have sent is just 23,94KB-increasing it by 10 times will be easy as attachment! ;)

Udo.

Personally, you'd be better off simply uploading to something like www.photobucket.com and using the img tag. Then people can click on it and go to the full size.

2U-SDSL4000b.jpg

There is the link to the full sized version!

Im still in process of designing it and a bit skeptical about posting it incase someone steals the design but oh well ill have to trust everyone.
Ptownkid jus seen your post on the DIY PARTS SUPPLY thread!!
Cant wait cant wait cant wait!!

Yeah its my uni dissertation, got till june to complete the build. So much work! Love it tho. If all goes to plan ill have my own one off custom piece. Getting all the design stuff done now while i wait for the parts to arrive.
You made a gssl or sb4000?

Thanks, really simple, just used an old cersion of photoshop and stole bits of pictures from various other conpressor pics. Crude really but easier and dont look too bad

hey,
not yet, waiting for my pcb :)
but i have done a dissertation, i wish i could have done something as cool as that.
how do you plan to do the from panel then?

Im just gonna buy a 2u enclosure and find somewhere to drill it and engrave. Probly gonna call in a few favours along the way. Let me know when you start cos im extremly novice wen it comes to anythin electrical hahaaa but my obsession for gear wins everyday!

One two three - test
(have been knocked out with fever for a week ...)

while it looks nice some practical / cost observations:
- square rack mounting holes are a no-go. like round ones or too small (had to open all Sonic interfaces to fit our M6 racks).
- if the meters only show gain reduction two are redundant in this piece of gear (those meters are expensive, and both will always show the same).
- this little Power Switch ... might be some tiny toggle exists for 240V AC, however, next to the others the user will fail sooner or later ;)

edit:
thinking again - since it is just for your aesthetics section of uni dissertation nothing I wrote matters.
test failed, back to bed for me I guess :mad:

Hahhaa i its only a quik photoshop design, the rack holes will be eliptical as normal and the power switch will be considerably bigger/robust than the image switch. I literally stole the controls from other ikages and did a cut and paste job to get the general idea. 
As for the meters, one will be a vu ( hopefully ) to acompany the mono led vu in the centre ( so output can be seen easily from further away as i like to listen to the mixes i work on at different positions in the room.
Thanks for the feedback tho. All your points have been taken on board

Latest posts

Back