mysterious piano

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engels

Hi folks!

This is the story of a piano made by someone unknown to the internet; impossible, you say?
Maybe you're right, therefore this must be an horror story after all...

Ehm... I'm joking, in another life I wanted to be a writer...
Anyway, in few words (I know It's almost too late for saying that... since these are not just "few words"), have you ever heard about "Seidemann Pianos"?
Google, ebay, piratebay and even hushabye bay didn't gave me an answer... Until now, I never missed an answer to my silly questions, but why noone ever had this piano... except myself? DAMN... is it of the xx century? end of 800'? 700? year zero? nah, pianos aren't such old...
Anyway, that's all for now... please hurry!.... I'm afraid...

Am I supposed to subscribe there and make the question on a more appropriate website?  ::)
.... GOOD IDEA!

By the way, with a quick search between discussions, the results are: no data found searching for "Seidemann"...
Things getting even more frightening...
I'll try anyway asking to someone and maybe upload a photo

Large piano technician groups have seen EVERYthing.

They can also estimate the decade and country from pictures of the action.

"Seidemann" could be a small piano store who special-ordered pianos from one of the many (or many-many) piano builders with their own name on the front.

Up through the 1930s there were hundreds of piano makers in Europe and USA. Some of them mostly assembled catalog parts. The Depression hurt the business but into the 1950s there were a lot of piano makers, some of them very small.

It would be good to get to the cast-iron plate and see if there is a maker mark. For example Steinway plates have the Steinway name cast into the iron. Even if Steinway did custom-logo pianos (I don't think they do), they probably would not modify the casting pattern to hide their name.

I like how you said "EVERYthing"  ::)
you broke all the tension...

Btw, this is very interesting; seidemann really may have been one of the moltitude of piano makers;
Today (before reading your post) I looked for a signature / mark of the maker, but the back or the inside of the piano was unaccessible.. it's placed in between loads of stuff and I was unable to check the back or open the top; On the front, I found the logo of the store, just here in my city, Turin, but unluckily it seems closed from ages...
I also discovered that it was maybe bought by my great-grandfather;

Anyway, I wanted those information because I sadly have to sell it, due to a pressing necessity of money..
I'll maybe ask on ptg if they know something more and if they could help me a little bit as you did already!

Thanks for this lesson PRR  :)

Back