Mystery German modules - Help me get them going!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh, RIM means "Radio Industrie München" a company that was famous for their electronic DIY kits and publications. RIM was taken over by
Conrad Electronic in 1991.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Rim

here a link to some of their famous "Baumappen" ("Build instructions")

http://sites.prenninger.com/elektronik/bausaetze/rim/rimbaumappen

rock soderstrom said:
here a link to some of their famous "Baumappen" ("Build instructions")

http://sites.prenninger.com/elektronik/bausaetze/rim/rimbaumappen

Fantastic...

Looking at rock's RIM build instructions (which I wish I could read in English they look awesome) I notice that there are some that refer to the ELA-1004 system in the index.  These might be a good place to start (if you speak german, or even if you don't and can match up the schematics). 

I don't but here is what I picked up using google translate and my nose. The thing looks so well documented and organized that it is easy to follow even with my minuscule German (I had a german stepmother, briefly, 40 odd years ago, who tried to teach me):

in the index ...

There is an ELA - 1004B system
There is an ELA - 1004E system
and
There is an ELA mini system is dated 1971/72

The mini system it seems was a block system, which included individual blocks one block of which was the VV subsystem (maybe pictured, although yours seem to be part of the 1004 system). 

The VV blocks maybe were part of the Preamplifier blocks it seems.

Here is the index google translated and guessed
block system of individual blocks
VV preamplifier
KL Klangreglverstarker (Universal line level input?)
SV Linear sum and output amplifier
RKL equalizers? -
EM Mithorverstarker (output amp?)
VU AM
NT 1 power supply module
NT 2 Power Supply Board
WS selector

There are more than one that document the ELA system, even the ELA1004 system.

Find someone who speaks german or even without that, you may be able to use the schematics on the ELA modules to work backwards to the voltages and bus structure on the Tuchel connectors.

Especially if other modules have RIM stuff in them. 

How much of this stuff do you have anyway?

Great detective work!
Sorry to say though that only the Stereoreverb driver has the RIM cards, the rest is custom stuff.
But i was confident enough to put some power on to them today and got some success with the dual compressor!
I managed to get signal through it and the meter was working.
Still nothing on the micpres though, they were dead so i will need to trace the signal with my scope.

But i am on the right way though!

Bruce, i have four of the micpre/eq´s, two dual compressors, one vocoder, a stereo HP filter, the Stereo reverb driver and a few other modules that i am not sure what they do.

Just because the other boards don't say RIM on them, does not mean that they do not use RIM circuits.  Many hobby electronics magazines sold PCBs but also provided PCB artwork for folks to etch their own.  Of course some of your modules also have perfboard and tag strips so it will be harder to figure out.

"KL Klangreglverstarker (Universal line level input?)"
could mean Eq. It controlls the way it sounds.

"EM Mithorverstarker (output amp?)"
Listening amp - maybe Headphone or small speaker

I had a thorough look through the RIM archives and i could not find any circuits that matched the ones in my modules.
Their circuits seems a bit more simpler and does not seem to use any transformers, more consumer stuff.
One interesting thing though was that most of their curcuits run on +27v, not a big difference from the standard +24v but i wonder why they choose that voltage?

And yes Jakob, i saw the missing relay and it is missing in both of my units.
I need to trace where the leads from that socket goes, it is connected somehow.

But i was happy that i got the compressor to work, next step will to put some music through them and not just testsignal.
I will start to recap the micpre/eq and see if that helps something.

API said:
I had a thorough look through the RIM archives and I could not find any circuits that matched the ones in my modules.
Obviously poor archives where you had a look  ;) - here you go:
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=54882.0

If you could take a picture from the track side of the other pcbs in the reverb-unit then I think that this mystery could be solved.

enjoy,
analogguru

Thanks alot for those schematics!
But i dont believe that anything else in these modules are from RIM, only those cards for the stereo plate.
But apparently i have not seen everything  ;D

Do you think that all these modules runs on 27-30v like the RIM stuff?

Latest posts

Back