nasa transformer paper

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@CJ - a long standing toroid-transformer related question I can't seem to find an answer to, even in this paper:

If I have two toroid transformers, one with small diameter inner and outer, and another with larger diameter. Same core material.

But the smaller one have a slightly bigger square section of the core - i.e. "small and fat" as opposed to the other "big and skinny"-'ish

What operational differences can I expect here? I see slightly lower inductance-per-turn for the larger core, but not by much.

My intuition is that the smaller will handle higher levels, all other things being equal, but I'm not sure at all

/Jakob E.

@CJ - a long standing toroid-transformer related question I can't seem to find an answer to, even in this paper:

If I have two toroid transformers, one with small diameter inner and outer, and another with larger diameter. Same core material.

But the smaller one have a slightly bigger square section of the core - i.e. "small and fat" as opposed to the other "big and skinny"-'ish

What operational differences can I expect here? I see slightly lower inductance-per-turn for the larger core, but not by much.

My intuition is that the smaller will handle higher levels, all other things being equal, but I'm not sure at all

/Jakob E.

Jakob,

Besides higher level I’d expect less distributed capacitance, with all due advantages… at least in theory. Would you be able to hear it is already a different question.

Best, M

Last edited:
Back