Need help diagnosing DIY Vintagemicpcb U67 Mic problems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngshu

Wanted to build the Vintagepcbkit u67. It is my first Mic build and i have no idea how to trouble shoot and have no mentor to ask. Hoping you guys could take a listen and give me ideas on where to go from here.

All psu B+ H- measurments are correct. They are also correct with the mic connected.
I have swapped tubes that i know are working because i tested them in my Lauten Eden.
I swapped a styroflex that i thought might have been the issue because i slightly burned the edge that had no effect.

I would not have picked such a difficult mic for my first build but i had no idea about Hi Z or plate voltages. All things considered i have learned alot with my failure so far. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Below is a recording so you can listen and theory craft.

Thank you

Last edited:
I didnt take photos while building unfortunately. Any ideas based on the audio clip? Thanks for taking a look!

Attachments

• IMG_3876.jpg
    IMG_3876.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3877.jpg
    IMG_3877.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3879.jpg
    IMG_3879.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3880.jpg
    IMG_3880.jpg
  • IMG_3881.jpg
    IMG_3881.jpg
  • IMG_3882.jpg
    IMG_3882.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
The audio clip doesn't open for me. I do see a lot of solder holes that aren't properly filled on the component side of the board.

The audio clip doesn't open for me. I do see a lot of solder holes that aren't properly filled on the component side of the board.
I went through and reflowed everything. There are a few empty holes but those are by design of the pcb if that's what you are referring too.

@youngshu

I attached for you the Vintage Microphone PCB Kit D-67 Build Guide (PDF) to re-check step by step the whole soldering process and also the Neumann U-67 Pre Schematic & Neumann U-67 PSU Schematic so you can follow it for checking the placing & the values of the components…

I hope this will helps you a little bit more to your task…

Attachments

• Vintage Microphone PCB Kit D-67 Build Guide.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Neumann U-67 Pre Schematic.gif
    Neumann U-67 Pre Schematic.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Neumann U-67 PSU Schematic.gif
    Neumann U-67 PSU Schematic.gif
    20 KB · Views: 0
There are a few empty holes but those are by design of the pcb if that's what you are referring too.
In the first picture I see quite a few holes that aren't flowed all the way through where the film caps are, that's what I was referring to. Any changes after the reflow?

Still can't open the audio file btw.

In the first picture I see quite a few holes that aren't flowed all the way through where the film caps are, that's what I was referring to. Any changes after the reflow?

Still can't open the audio file btw.
ok so new developments.

I Reflowed and cleaned everything joint and got a good improvement on output volume.

Still the same amount of noise.

So i plugged the power supply into me interface turned it on with no mic connected and cranked preamp to listen to noise.
there is very little noise from the power supply at very high preamp levels.
As soon as i bring the 7pin close to the mic the noise iv been fighting appears.
any ideas?

i tried to make the sound clip a google drive link im not sure why thats not working ill try something else.

Back