negative compression / past inf. ratio is killing me (VCA / VECA)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tata said:
tried the R59 mod (0R to 10k) - didnt solve the main issue.

about the pin4 question : it puzzled me why you having it connected at all, since you have "2180" labeled there.
for 2181 i could understand that connection, but again.. im just following your PCB / schemo values.

i put a 2180 where 2180 is marked.

i hope you get my point.

Yes, I understand - you knew exactly what the purpose was if you were using  the 2181, but you were confused about i and worried what it might do for the 2180.

tata said:
could it be that my front control PCB has some mistake - i mean the Ratio circuit ?
i will disassemble this unit, take out that PCB and re-re-recheck all components.

I'm sure you'll figure it out.

tata said:
can you pls tell what R82 does, and what difference is expected if id change it to 20k (as its shown on the THAT schemo)?
R82 is not socketed in my builds, but im ready to play with it - if it would make significant change.

thanks.

R82 is a feedback resistors on an inverting opamp. If you raise the value, you will have more gain there, if you lower it, you will have less. You might like 22K better, who knows.

Gustav

Gustav said:
R82 is a feedback resistors on an inverting opamp. If you raise the value, you will have more gain there, if you lower it, you will have less. You might like 22K better, who knows.

Gustav

thank you, i knew it being a feedback res. on the inverting opamp - i meant to ask "the bigger picture".
desoldering, socketing, testing in a few hours.

this is also burned in my retinas :
feedback_small.png

(just a useless joke.)
:)

cheers.

tata said:
Gustav said:

Gustav

thank you, i knew it being a feedback res. on the inverting opamp - i meant to ask "the bigger picture".
desoldering, socketing, testing in a few hours.

this is also burned in my retinas :
feedback_small.png

(just a useless joke.)
:)

cheers.

I know that you knew, of course.

The opamp is there to convert the current output of the VCA to voltage, nothing special about the value of the resistor, I am just verifying that you are aware of it.

Picture is a non-inverting opamp, but I am sure you know.

Have fun experimenting with the resistor.

I dont think I have anything meaningful to contribute anymore. Let me know if you figure out what the problem on your ratio was.

Gustav

Gustav said:
Picture is a non-inverting opamp, but I am sure you know.

Gustav

thats why i wrote "also.." - the joke is in the words, not the actual circuit drawn. :)

playing w/ R82 (too) - not fixed yet,
but i will let you know for sure. im trying to get a scope.

thanks.

now if a VECA user / owner could chime in and show how a proper VECA works at these 'nonsense' levels..
im ready to send some wavs for testing.

tata said:
now if a VECA user / owner could chime in and show how a proper VECA works at these 'nonsense' levels..
im ready to send some wavs for testing.

Once again, I am sorry if I was being unclear.

when you posted referenced to testing at +9dBu, I found the tests to be nonsense, so getting down to some something more reasonable, and measured, was a priority.

Since we have come to the point where you did a controlled test, and the data reveals some odd behaviour, the overloading of the side chain could finally be ruled out as the culprit of the problem.

If you feel you need data in addition to what I have given you, and the verification that Twentytree posted, to start looking for a build and/or measurement error instead of a design error, the choice is yours, but it would preferable if the data you got back stuck to the same form as the measurements done recently, rather than "nonsense" (in terms of the test being replicable and valid) measurements.

Hope that helps.

Gustav

probably just nitpicking, but i guess C114, the decoupling cap of IC23's Vcc+ is 100nF, not 100pF
all other decoupling caps on ICs are 100nF, right?

its 100pF on both the schemo and on the PCB silkscreen.
and on Gustav's build guide photos too.

tata said:
probably just nitpicking, but i guess C114, the decoupling cap of IC23's Vcc+ is 100nF, not 100pF
all other decoupling caps on ICs are 100nF, right?

its 100pF on both the schemo and on the PCB silkscreen.
and on Gustav's build guide photos too.

Yes, I am sorry for that - I doubt it would make a difference, even if you removed half of them on ICs.

Thanks for pointing it out, though.

Gustav

tata said:
Gustav said:
... and the verification that Winetree posted,..

you mean "TwentyTrees" ?

Yes, I am sorry if that caused any confusion. I was talking about he data previously referenced and posted. I  was unaware if you had seen it, but I am glad you are being so attentive, and realised I had the name mixed up with a different username.

Gustav

Hello forum!

Can confirm the negative compression action on the stock VECA. Get the same inverting behaviour when recording a ramping sine (and music!) through the veca at -3dBu RMS or louder. It's particularly obvious as signals gets louder, but it's also measurable around 0 dBu. Have only tested -3dBu and up. I see no reason to test softer signals. This is 30 volt unit, not a guitar stomp box! I have industry standard Lavry and Mytek converters which deal with signals in excess of 20dBu peak. Anything smaller means gaining to restore signal. I'd like to avoid that, thank you, unless it's absolutely warranted, and perfectly controlled, as in "passive" EQs, diode compressors, etc.

Changing R101 (audio path VCA inverter input) from 120k to 200k did make for a major improvement. Compression curve now acts more normal. As in: no negative compression. Though it seems 220k may be the ideal value!

.. It occurred to me to today to compare VECA, GSSL schematics, and the original SSL comp. It seems the R101 scaling is an issue left over from the making of a different circuit (GSSL) from the original SSL schematics.

TL;DR: the SSL circuit have the same input at both audio VCA and sidechain VCA, while GSSL/VECA does not.

Both original and GSSL can be seen here: http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm - Look at the amps ahead of audio VCA and sidechain VCA outputs at the lower left(edit: right!) corner of the 82e27 board. Those signals are scaled equal with a common gain, as both have 100k feedback and input resistors. In the 82E26 part, both of these equal level signals enter DBX VCAs through equal 4k7. All perfectly balanced between VCA and SC inputs, as expected, at least IMHO.

In the GSSL, audio VCA amp have 100k feedback and 120k input(100/120=0.833), while SC output have 56k feedback and 100k input. (56/100=0.56). Then it gets messy.. The SC VCA is a 218x where the audio VCA signal goes to the input trough a 470 with 47 ohm to ground 47/(470+47)=0.0909, with some of the negative rail added from pin 5. The scale factor for the SC is 0,56*0,0909=0.050904

All while the VCA inputs are DBX202 substitute circuits, not (nearly) straight to 218x inputs as the SC VCA, as seen in the lower left(edit: right!) hand corner of the GSSL schematic, and on the audio VCA inputs of the VECA. These inputs are quite different from the straight to 2180 connections, essentially using an opamp to give better driving capability, if I’m not totally mistaken. These starts with a scale factor of 0.833 and then heads off to the DBX substitution circuit with a non-inverting opamp using a 1k over 120 ohm input and 1k feedback. This gives me a scale of 0.107, but I’m not dead certain on that, though that's what the circuit simulation says. If that is the case, the input to the audio VCA is scaled by 0.833*0.107=0.089

The numbers 0.050904 and 0.089 surely are different! In the original SSL circuit, these ain’t different. Using a 200k instead of 120k on the input to the audio VCA gives; 100/200=0.5 *0.107 = 0.0535 – a lot closer to the scaling of 0.05 at the sidechain VCA input, compared to the current 0.089 scaling. I guess these input wants to see the same behaviour..

If this theory is correct, then 200k isn’t spot on either. Solving for X, and then another X gives.. 210199 ohms. I have no resistors socketed.. Tata: Please try it and see if it works! :)

If you hit spot on with that 210199 ohm value, I’m way deeper into electronics and circuits than I thought. <grin>  Will try to do the fixed resistor + trimming pot thing and see what the optimal value turns out to be. As it is, with the 200k, the VECA sounds normal on all levels.

References to trimming the 120k resistor on the GSSL are around too, with results far closer to 120k than 200k. Those are however at a different negative DC offset value for a GSSL compared to VECA, as those SC VCA pin 3 inputs are at different level DC offset from pin5 on the VECA and GSSL SC VCAs - 5k1 over 10k047 on the VECA vs 3k9 over 10k047 on the GSSL. It may affect the result..? Lifting pin4 may affect it too, if distortion turns out to be trimmed way off through the ground connection on the SC pin 4 connection.

.. As with other things regarding the GSSL and VECA, it beats me why this haven’t been raised as an issue before. Perhaps it as as simple as the post 2733 in this http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47.2720 thread says: ..  “ The 120k resistor with 2180la will only result in the correct ratios at the FASTEST attack time setting...which is where I'm assuming everyone sets it when performing their measurements.(I'd like confirmation of this)” - though Tata does mention fastest release/attack...

Best regards to all involved,

Andreas Nordenstam

I dont have much time to look into it these days, but since theres a verification "the other way", and contrary to the measurements I did, Ill pull the project for now and look into the details later.

Gustav

Andreas :

a huge thank you for your confirmation and informations. sadly this is way too much info for me atm, but im very happy to see that i was right about the negative compression. ill test the 210k(-ish) R101 right now.

so is this the only change we need to do - or are there other resistors to change too, for eg R4/R21 (1k to 909R-ish, as for eg. in Igor's MixBuzz, or 1k2-ish?)

2 of my VECA builds are a bit more complicated, because i added the 1.5:1 Ratio mod - here is the thread with my questions and measurements :
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=64371.0

Gustav : i hope youll get back to this project soon.  this seems to be a popular gear here.. but now i have to DIY my own PCBs if i need more - and i do need more for sure.

tata said:
Gustav : i hope youll get back to this project soon.  this seems to be a popular gear here.. but now i have to DIY my own PCBs if i need more - and i do need more for sure.

I dont have time to test anything, not sure why theres a discrepancy in the measurements even.

Single input on my test, double input on yours?

That was just a wild guess, but in any case, i just dont have the ressources right now, so for now, the project is down.

Gustav

"Negative compression ratios" could easily sound like a feature rather than a defect ;)

(AFAIK only possible in feedforward designs like Omnipressor, Mpressor pico etc).

Latest posts

Back