Neumann odyssey

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh, oh, ah... even more BS.

These guys knew it all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MobpPTVobOk

and..now youre an operator

I know such "3-computer" setups as well, had one "real" dual-cpu IBM workstation and two "beige-boxes" as sidekicks. I shudder because I know that I will have to return to such monstrosities. f.u., intel!

Yeah I certainly feel like one...gah. Lessons learned the hard way...

Funny how the computer setup went all split-brain all over the place (actually even
better than having separate machines because you can access anything from anywhere),
the digital setup went as close-dense-lean-mean as possible. Just sports 1 2m FW cable
from puter to DACs, rest gets fired around the analog way wherever possible.

One cool side effect is that the talkback switch on the desk now patches through to the
PA in the living room  :D

-----now something completely different-----

play this thru your setup so it won't give you more headache
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0WNbm1jz6A&a=iXkyi_DyO8k

I mean, seriously, rent a CD! But hold the hammer in your hand just in case...

But related to the topic (if it wasnt clear from my previous post), to it seems a little risky to have a firewire or a usb interface (I mean "converters"). Because if/when computer-hardware standards change (and this of course happens constantly, and is consumer-level-oriented), your interface simply wont work anymore if it's only usb or firewire.

From this viewpoint, the only option that seemed more "secure" to me were "adat" connections into an on-board soundcard, but even this is entirely at the mercy of "technological progress".

Not to mention device drivers updates etc..

Very cool story, congrats on getting it all sorted out!
I, myself, plan a similar, albeit much cheaper setup - Amek BC2 with Echo Audiofires, I haven't even plugged anything yet, but I can see that this might take years to straighten out... Thanks for the inspiring example!
:D

Glad if it can help you  :) After it all went click I actually psychologically zapped out and ended up in bed
for 3 days...like "aaaaaah two years of frustration"...gone.

said Lukas to his bed: "Me so psychological. Me zapp you long time."

Yeah...zappage was very good :)

"And he woke up in a studio that was suddenly working...and he asked himself...was this a dream?"

So, the 0.3m Lindy cables cost just about as much as the 1m cables, and turns out that's not money
out the window. After all I'd been through with firewire cables now it was "ok buggaroo, now we're
squeezing everything out we can get" and wired them all together with 0.3m short stretches instead
of your standard 0.5m and 1m cables you get in the box, and lo and behold - clock sync jumps right
in. This was a trick I used to use when I needed to resync stuff, with the Halos on Wordclock just select
48k when they're recieving 44.1 - it generally goes to 48 and jumps back without "sticking" more than
half a second if everything's right.

Now it goes so fast you can't even see the number change.

>>> Yeah...zappage was very good

Now that your gf knows the secret to what "tickles" you enough to get you into a 3-days-nonstop-psychozapping mode, well ... don't let her anywhere near your equipment ... or place a surveilance camera, haha.

Latest posts

Back