Neve 2254, limiter section usefull or not?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on ch2 i just get waveform with top cut off (rectified) no odd shape, ive got both the UAD plugin version of the 2254 and the plugin alliance version (Lindell 254E) and im fairly familiar with what each control does, nothing seems to do anything on this hardware version?
I should be able to squash the signal at +4 at 800ms on fast or slow but absolutley nothing happens?
any ideas where i should start trying to figure out why none of the control do anything?

totally stumped by why i cant get the limiter threshold working properly, 5k is the value for the limiter threshold pot, but ive tried 10k and 22k and get a little more drop when using the higher resistance pots but no where near where i would espect?
If i leave out the 39R resistor/ 33R trimmer to gnd from T on the BA192 i get more signal, when i have them in signal drops?
when limiter is in there at at its highest limiting setting there should be a little drop on the output but im not showing any voltage drop?
have made all connections but still not working?
this is getting frustrating now!

Ch2 is now looking like its limiting a little bit, would like to be able to get it to do more than 0.4v, i'll see how it sounds, forgot gnd on one of the sidechain txf!!! still using without the 39R and 33R trim on T on BA192 pcb, are these needed as it says to set for +8, anytime i put something here within the range of 39-80R it reduces limiting, i want more of it!! or at least be able to get more!!

gonna wind another txf for ch1 as this one im using isnt the same as ch2, hopefully this finish this then i can then setup. AML version doesnt have Limiter unfortunatley, i do have those diagrams and have been a great help though thanks.

All I’ve done is wire in the connections from ba185 and ba192 to txf I’ve wound as 31267 (2:1) winding sheet in document section.
Got a 3 way switch and wired as centre as off and up is fast down is slow attack.
Used 5k for limiter threshold and used lorlin for release time set to 4 clicks.

As I’ve said I’ve not fully tested yet but with 1k sinewave in @ 2.5v I do see a drop of about 0.4v when engaging limiter, release time does seem to do something but seems subtle, threshold seems to work, not a big difference between fast and slow attack yet, I have included the 470R resistor onto the 3 way switch, it tests so that the attack goes on fast to 400R and slow to 2.7k

I know some successful old school guys who never use the limiter on it, but if you’re doing some heavily compressed drum room mics the extra limiter can be particularly cool.

Yeah I will do just gotta test it all now

Hi,
any news about help-docs of the "add on" limiter section ?
cheers

Ps:
The thread about the "4 Cards" diy version of the 2254 (the best i.m.h.o.)
is a good guide,
https://groupdiy.com/threads/neve-2254-build-with-ba185-ba191-ba192-ba283.73830/
It could be "refined/enriched" (as well)
with some colored "graphic" diagrams
regarding the interconnections between the 4 boards (pin to pin)
and the front panel controls,
for which help in composing them is always available ; )

Last edited:
Back