Neve 3415 Mic Pre Mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefastvinny

Hi everyone,

I have come across a couple Neve 33415 Modules and I'm wanting to build some mic pre's out of them. I have heard about people doing this. What changes need to be made? I schematics and pin outs, just haven't been able to find the procedure. Any help would be great.

They are not 1272's!
You can convert them to real nice preamps using the gainswitch from the 1081. Input is class-A and output class-AB. I have converted a few them, I'll see if I have any schematics/notes left. Gainrange was +25 to +80 dB, plus a 30dB pad between the transformer and inputstage giving you a -5 to +50 gain range.

How many do you have? I may have some pcb's left also.

I have two 33415 Complete Modules. After I get this figured out I may have to try and copy another set. Not to much to this circuit. Curious to how it will sound.

They sound excellent!  I have 4 3415 channels with the marinaire iron (some have belclere inputs) and they are very smooth and fat sounding.  Hi end is a little reticent but there is plenty of detail and its a very flattering top.  Loads of gain and plenty of drive for long cables etc.
M

Im in the prosess of recapping some 3415 modules, and Im in deep trouble. The PCB tracks breaks off the fiberglass as soon I touch it with a solder iron. I tried low temprature, and cutting off exess wire and solder with a cutter, but with no luck. The tracks come of like tinfoil on a roasted duck. Anyone tried recapping these 1975 PCBs, without ruining a genuine 3415?

I did a bunch of 33129s, same era. They maybe weren't so bad in that respect, but I remember I had to be quick. Have your solder sucker ready and clean, use a small pointy bit, and don't take longer than a couple of seconds when removing the solder. Try and get the joint clean before you lift the lead and be very careful not to press on the pad when you do it.

Best of luck.

They are not 1272's!
You can convert them to real nice preamps using the gainswitch from the 1081. Input is class-A and output class-AB. I have converted a few them, I'll see if I have any schematics/notes left. Gainrange was +25 to +80 dB, plus a 30dB pad between the transformer and inputstage giving you a -5 to +50 gain range.

How many do you have? I may have some pcb's left also.
Planning on racking a pair, could you give me the steps needed to convert them to mic pres?

I'm not looking to implement a stepped gainswitch, was planning on using a basic 70s Neve 10K LIN pot in place of the EXTERNAL FADER on the schematics. My scan is ultra low res and I might be missing something. Will add a phase switch too, probably PAD too.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Back