Neve 5402 CRC Console documents

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmozart

Hi,

Anybody has ANY technical documents for the Neve 5402 Broadcast console?  The one I have is not the "B" version and has 34132 and 34133 duels in it. Any help will be VERY appreciated!

Best! 

Kosta

The CRC was one of the last circuits Rupert designed for Neve. It was around 1975 when he visited my boss with the schematics. My boss called me in and I sat down with the great man to discuss his design.

I do ot have any documentation for the CRC but maybe some of my old Neve colleagues will. I will ask.

Cheers

Ian

There are a few 54 series manuals floating around the web, but I do not recall seeing docs for any channel modules except the 34128.  I'll have another look at my files.

EDIT: Nevermind, those docs are for the later 54 series.  We used to have a CRC at the studio but sold it years ago.  No docs in my files.

Even my old Neve colleagues do not seem to have schematics for this console. It was not successful and was very short lived. CRC stood for Compact Radio Console. Internally it was nick nicknamed the cheap radio console.

Cheers

Ian

Even my old Neve colleagues do not seem to have schematics for this console. It was not successful and was very short lived. CRC stood for Compact Radio Console. Internally it was nick nicknamed the cheap radio console.

Cheers

Ian
Right, "Crappy" must have been the American version :rolleyes:

I did a bit of work on the one at the studio before it was sold. Whatever logic was behind it was lost on me. I will see if the buyer still has it and if we sent any docs with it.

Well, cheap was the 'official' nick name but I am sure other words were used behind closed doors. The CRC was quite a brave step at the time it was designed (1974) and it was the last Neve console electronics to be designed by Rupert himself. Back then Neve consoles, as you know, were built like a cross between a battleship and a precision instrument both of which meant they were very exensive. The bravery of the CRC was to attempt to break out of this mould and produce a well specified Neve mixer that could be manufactured and sold at a much lower price point withput sacrificing performance and reliability. It really built on what Neve had done with the BCM 10/2 broadcast console - which was create a standard product that had very limited customisation so it could be manufactured at lower cost. However, the BCM 10/2 used all the standard mechanics, connectors and wiring techniques that the big custom consoles used so it was still quite expensive. For the CRC out went the expensive connectors, the hand wiring of buses, the total enclosure of modules and the hand wiring of modules. The were replaced by modules that were meant to be a single PCB with an edge connector that slid in on card guides and plugged into a PCB backplane. Screening between modules was simple steel sheets that slid in on a second set of card guides. The overall frame was fixed and I think all the connection came out to EDACs originally. I left Neve before it reached production so I have never seen one so I do not know how much of Rupert's vision actually made it into the final product.

Cheers

Ian

I fed 2x12V ... Do not know how much do you need 5402.2x24V?
I don't rememeber. I was there when Rupert designed it. I saw his original schematics. In those days, everything was still 24V single supply so this would probably be the very first Neve split supply design. You can tell from the gains of the transformers and the amps that the internal operating level is about -18dBu so plus or minus 12V would be enough. The BC184 is only rated up to 30V so its is probably not plus or minus 15V.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back