• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

NEVE BA283 boards

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree they are good copies but a tad on the expensive side. Having said that, I saw a genuine vintage BA283 board on Reverb for about $280. Crazy.

Cheers

Ian

If you have for sale original Neve BA283 boards for 25€ each I will buy all of them from you.
Let me know how many do you have for sale
Could I "borrow" one just for a short while so I could "Reverse-Engineer" it for a new set of "Clones"? I promise to send it right back to you!!!

And.....a belated "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" for the award you had received awhile back ago!!! I bet you were totally thrilled with receiving that, right???

/

Modern day components ,especially caps dont lend themselves to an original Neve style layout , which had axial caps ,
The better quality ,reasonably priced components nowadays are all radial , so even if you stick close to the original layout some compromise is required .
There are some Neve style boards available off an ebay.ie seller I collaborated with , its a modern re-creation of the old curved trace Neve boards ,with foot prints for both modern and older style caps in most positions where lytics are used in the direct signal chain . I did pass a specimen of the board before the eyes of an old friend and electronic wizard , he said he hadnt seen a board with curved traces in 40 years . The modern through hole plated boards are great for reworking or subbing in different component values according to choice , where the old real Neve boards wont stand up to much before the copper delaminates .

For me its the Neve class A 2n3055/transformer output stage sound Im after , step up transformer after tube mic directly to the BA283 output stage works great for me , although I incorporated a gain control in the feed back network so I can set it up for a particular mic/source.
What I hate is this interminable analising/sphincter clenching over re-creating exactly what was done 50 odd years ago , if you wanna go with NOS overpriced crap thats been sitting on the shelves for 20 years ,off you go .

Well, thought I might as will join the pile on...

I've actually gone thru the process of researching, laying out, and manufacturing 283, 284, 181, 182, 194, 205, & 211 boards (for doing 127x, 1066, 1073, 1084, etc.) that match the original dimensions and layouts but with additional pads for radials (in addition to the original axials) and straighter traces (sorry, I don't buy into the whole "but it's part of the sound" thing).

I have original 183, 283, and 284 cards and I don't hear a difference between new and 'vintage' when using in spec components. The old boards hold up to light rework but not nearly as well as a modern PCB with heavier traces.

I've owned vintage and new Neves with old and new transformers. They all sound good (when maintained) but I can assure you, I'll take 'modern & reliable' over 'vintage & crusty' any day.

It's similar to how I feel about using analog tape for recording: The only people who miss it are the some who never used it.

YMMV.

The opinions expressed do not represent the owners or advertisers of this station and should not be construed as an endorsement.

Could I "borrow" one just for a short while so I could "Reverse-Engineer" it for a new set of "Clones"? I promise to send it right back to you!!!

I only have one original BA283 at the moment, all the other ones I have are exact clones of the BA283 pcb.
I got a bit confused as you said you wanted to "reverse-engineer" them but you also said in a later post that you "have original 183, 283" and that you've "actually gone thru the process of researching, laying out, and manufacturing 283".
So if you have original ones and you already manufactured it why would my original BA283 help?

It's a simple circuit, I have detailed docs on this boards, including dimensions and the traces, they really simple to Home Etch also.
There was also quite a few sources for exact clone boards.

By the way I always use radial Electrolytic capacitors instead of axial in these boards, I just spread the legs, NBD

And.....a belated "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" for the award you had received awhile back ago!!! I bet you were totally thrilled with receiving that, right???

/

I guess you're refering to my Grammy nomination, I didn't win, but being nominated was already quite amazing. Thanks for the nice words

I'm really sorry MidnightArrakis and noizetoys, it was late and I made some confusion.
Sorry mates

MidnightArrakis

Are you sure you want to reverse engineer the pcb? it's because it was already done many times in the past, you can buy exact clones already made, why do to all that work again?

You can buy pcb's for cheap here:

https://analogclassics.com/product/neve-ba283-board-clone/
and here

https://diystudiotoys.com/products/neve-2254-pcb-kit
AVDaudio - AVDaudio :: online store of DIY audio components also sold them not long ago.

All the schematics are readilly available, plus also all component choice and info.
If you need any docs just let me know

Back