• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Seeking Nevish colored blank 19” 1U Panel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North

I’m looking to rack a stereo Neve project and looking for a new or perfect 1U 19” blank front panel in the Neve blue or possibly gray color. Thanks

If you can't find anything ready-made, you can certainly get something new powdercoated in very close to either of those shades. From my notes, the blue is RAF Blue Grey (Trimite S60-3 BS381C tint 633); the grey is Extra Dark Sea Grey (Trimite S60-3 BS381C tint 640). There are RAL powdercoat equivalents that get very close.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Twenty! much appreciated. I would have thought this would be the place for such an animal but .... maybe not. Thanks again

I have two Amek CIB front panels without the printed facia. They are grey in colour. If they are any use you can have them free. Just pay the shipping,

1697753313289.jpeg

Hey thanks so much sahib, but I’m needing a virtually unmodified panel. Very nice of you to offer though

So you want to drill and label it yourself? Then you could just buy the color in a spray paint and a blank 1U rack panel. Search RAF Blue Grey spray paint. This is what I did for stereo Neve style preamp builds. (i.e. DIY). The Middle Atlantic HBL1 is a nice quality blank Aluminum front panel.

If you want it drilled and engraved, you'd have to find a custom shop that can specify RAF Blue Grey. Look at Front panel express. This is quite a bit more expensive. Still DIY, as you are designing it yourself at least.

If you want something premade, drilled, engraved, and painted, to fit a DIY Neve preamp build, I don't know of anything. This is close but in black and mono.

I would have thought this would be the place for such an animal but .... maybe not.

Well, this is a DIY forum. Not everything is available to buy for easy assembly.

You may be better off just buying a clone like this. You get the front panel and all the other parts. And it's already assembled! haha

The DIY movement has been pretty much eliminated from the clones like Warm Audio at such a low price point.

Yeah folks like warm has made it so great as they're affordable but yet really make you weigh out the diy costs in making your own projects. I've built a bunch of projects with info and sourced parts from here and am completely happy with the results yet I wouldn't be ale to compete with new items from the clone makers if I were to ever sell them. I've bought panels from well known commercial clone manufacturers but that's about dried up. I did get a recent quote and its about double of what I paid before but probably going to go with it.
I'm now weighing the purchase of a cheap powder coat system as there are many non music items that can paint to make up for the purchase.
I've been steering away from spray paint as the reason for this project is to re rack some Neve 3415's in which the first time, I had used spray paint and letraset for the labeling and markers .. and a month later the whole face plate paint cracked and chipped easily, thus would like to stick with a manufacturers applied finish. Thanks for the suggestions

I use a Brother label printer. And 'automotive' spray paint (maybe a little more durable?)
The blue is a little more blue than Neve, but they have held up well - about 10 yrs.
With clones that look identical, I've chosen to 'lean' into the DIY look a bit.
Not for everyone I know, most can buy the Warm clones. IMG_6212.jpgIMG_6207.jpg

I have a couple of these that are pretty close and was planning to use them for a Neve project just like what you’re saying lol. They’re old / used, probably somewhere between 1950s and 1970s? I believe they went with a custom/repurposed sidecar that someone had a bunch of Neve modules in and had it painted to match the Neve blue…

I’d probably want to keep one, but I’d sell the other one. I’m in Massachusetts, USA. Shoot me a message if you’re interested

Excuse the random trash in the photo

Attachments

• IMG_8295.jpeg
    IMG_8295.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back