New 34mm electret?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This appears to be a new offering from JLI.

https://www.jlielectronics.com/microphone-capsules/jli-3410au/
Possibly just a JLI-2555 with a 34mm ring glued to the outside, to make it compatible with 34mm saddles? Also more exposed diaphragm area, and no mesh.
Looks quite lot like this one : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004832897031.html
Outside the USA, JLI shipping charges makes many of their items unrealistically priced ....
Even the Aliexpress price - including shipping - seems quite expensive for an electret...

Looks quite lot like this one : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004832897031.html
Outside the USA, JLI shipping charges makes many of their items unrealistically priced ....
Even the Aliexpress price - including shipping - seems quite expensive for an electret...
Not if they are anywhere near the quality of Shure's or Audio Technica's LDC (and MDC) electrets. A really good electret is worth just as much as an externally polarized one. Try buying an extra capsule for a DPA mic.

It's been a long time since electrets were inherently of lower quality. A really good one is just as hard to make as any other.

Not if they are anywhere near the quality of Shure's or Audio Technica's LDC (and MDC) electrets. A really good electret is worth just as much as an externally polarized one. Try buying an extra capsule for a DPA mic.

It's been a long time since electrets were inherently of lower quality. A really good one is just as hard to make as any other.
I must say my opinion of electrets changed quite lot when I first tried the Primo EM204/200 ...That capsule seemed a lot better better than any electrets I had tried previously.
I wonder how these '34mm' electrets compare to that Primo model?.....(which was/is quite expensive anyway! :) )

I must say my opinion of electrets changed quite lot when I first tried the Primo EM204/200 ...That capsule seemed a lot better better than any electrets I had tried previously.
I wonder how these '34mm' electrets compare to that Primo model?.....(which was/is quite expensive anyway! :) )
My biggest 'wake-up' was the AT3035. Though a different 'color', it's sound was every bit as high quality as my tube-modded Oktava 319.

But, yeah - that little Primo (apparently no longer in production) defies all logic.

Last edited:
My biggest 'wake-up' was the AT3035. Though a different 'color', it's sound was every bit as high quality as my tube-modded Oktava 319.

Large diaphragm that sounds like a small diaphragm. No other goal i life than to say "Here is the midrange. Deal with it."

What I find puzzling is that in every one of JLI's manuals, they use the same test mic. And they take painstaking care to conceal it's identity since it's been their pride and joy for the past two centuries (even though we all know it's a sanded-down AKG Perception).

Plus, the rings have no screws in them ! (?)

Just so they look groovy viewed through a headbasket?
You are right, this capsule is really far away from the Lewitt capsule. 😂 There was one on Amazon (which I can not longer find online ATM) that was closer, but it was not same too.

Last edited:
You are right, this capsule is really far away from the Lewitt capsule. 😂 There was one on Amazon (which I can not longer find online ATM) that was closer, but it was not same too.
Huh, sort of a weird choice to make what visually looks like a copy of a really specific copy of a Neumann capsule. Could've chosen any colour, like how Takstar's multipattern condensers are using red rings. They could've gone for blue, purple, yellow, pink, etc.

Back