New 6386 at AES??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtmnmf

2-5 October 2008

125th AES Convention - San Francisco

Analoguetube will be at Booth 440 this year, showing for the first time the AT-101 Limiter/Compressor. It uses cutting edge component technology in the analogue world. Developed as close to the original Fairchild 670 as possible using the latest passive component technology the AT-101 also shares the 20 tubes and 11 transformers from the original package. It even shares the same wiring turrets! Its also heavy - 30kgs of transformers and inductors heavy. Also launching for the first time will be a new generation 6386 remote cut-off tube. It's been several years in development and will be the successor to the original GE 6386 five star version. These tubes will be in a slightly longer package than before, will have gold pins and numbered with laser etching. Theses new generation tubes will be a direct 9 pin replacement for the old GE 6386 dual triodes. The AT-101 will take either with little or no adjustment to the 'Zero' controls.

nice :shock:

http://www.analoguetube.com/

frontpage.jpg

Interesting...

I think I'd rather spend $9.5K on a Larrchild than $20.5K on that puppy. Larry's fully stepped mastering version still comes in $9.5K cheaper - http://www.tubeequipment.com/

I secretly wish that I could afford one of these beauties while the American dollar is worthless! Goodthing some kind folk thought of poormen like me :guinness:

What about the look? Are people into it?

Cheers,
Ruairi

[quote author="ruairioflaherty"]I secretly wish that I could afford one of these beauties while the American dollar is worthless! Ruairi[/quote]

Oh just wait. Save your euros, or buy some gold. And wait.

I predict gold will be fine until they figure out it's "just a rock" and not worth anything. Kinda like when tulip bulbs were used as currency until the figured out "It's just a flower"

[quote author="sonicmook56"]I predict gold will be fine until they figure out it's "just a rock" and not worth anything. Kinda like when tulip bulbs were used as currency until the figured out "It's just a flower"[/quote]

Gold will "be fine" indefinitely. The tulip craze was a speculative manic event, entirely unlike the use of a precious metal as a medium of exchange and store of value.

Gold would become useless as money if its supply became essentially unlimited all of a sudden, which is highly unlikely.

Check this out for some additional insight:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north204.html

Gold will be worthless when "Soylent Green" arrives !!! :shock:

Nice bit of kit, but 22K !!
I would put that towards one of those new API consoles :)

MM>

No , but does it cash cheques ?

I agree that they'll likely sell them as well ....................
but not likely cheap [ being a premium product 'n all ]

[quote author="okgb"]No , but does it cash cheques ?

I agree that they'll likely sell them as well ....................
but not likely cheap [ being a premium product 'n all ][/quote]

True but the average price for a real 6386 isn't cheap at maybe £40 upwards each.

[quote author="jensenmann"][quote author="cannikin"]Who built it? which member?[/quote]

exactly what I was thinking :grin:[/quote]

Meter is a Sifam vintage meter. Knobs came from ebay.
Panel done by schaeffer. I'll post pics of the innards soon....

Nah...kiddin of corse...

OK Spill the beans... who are you? no need to be shy. I just watn to know who I'm send 22K to.... (so I can clone it and sell my version of it for 18K). :grin: :grin:

Thats truly a JOke... just playing with you.

Back