New Revelation!!Theater Rack ID PICS ADDED!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Snoid

OMG!

I think I've figured out what the vent ring on the front of the piece I thought was Western Electric... It is the wind screen from a Western Electric 47-A amp with 394 capsule (transmitter)!!!!!... sheesh...

Take a look at the coutant site: http://www.coutant.org/we47/index.html

About halfway down the page, you'll see two clear pictures of the screen out of the housing. Somebody gutted the mic to make a couple of vents on the front of this supply!  I guess 70 years ago that mic was worthless.  Geez!

Guys,
I just uploaded some pics of the amps. I'm starting to think some could be Altec manufactured in transition after the forced seperation from Western. Were probably from a paramount Publix theater.

http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/thumbnails.php?album=396

Hey,

I scored a rack full of Mid-30's WE theater amps and power supplies for a price so low I'm ashamed to even say!

So far, I haven't been able to find specific model numbers on the equipment itself, with one exception (model 359?? (from memory... I'm at work) that doesn't generate a hit on google.) I've been searching all weekend, and the results are nada.

What I've got, working my way up from the bottom of the rack:

1.) big-ass power high-voltage supply with 2 866W 1000v mercury recitifiers, a shitload of oilcan capacitors, and about a 20 pound xformer.

2.) Another smaller supply with a couple of Mullard GZ34s on it, maybe for lower voltage supply,

3.) A big ass regulator probably for adjusting plate currents, filament currents, etc

4.) a big-ass power amp using twin 845W triodes

6.) an input or driver amp with daven attennuators, 1625 output tubes, Peerless tranny, UTC resonant frequency tone controls (which looked like an add-on unit), some metal 12sJ?? metal tubes, etc.

7.) Another voodo-box full of meters and switches.  Most of the meters are by Simpson, not all WE.

The components include a couple of nice Peerless input and output trannies, nice UTC trannies, and an Acrousound output tranny.

I'll try to get some pictures, but I won't bother until I clean the 80 years of crap from everything. Most of the tubes were broken, with the exception of one United 845W, the two Mullard GZ34's, and some other wierdos. The frame of the bottom power supply has rusted an inch or so from the bottom lip,but nothing serious is compromised. Everything is in Black wrinkle paint, with period knobs and external brass scales attached to the aluminum faceplates.

Can anybody point me to some good sites or archives?  So far, the Bunker of Doom site looks promising, but trying to download a 6oo+meg pdf of old WE amp data would take 11 hours, so I quit the download.

From the configuration, has anybody got ideas as to what models they could be? I know I shouldn't think of pulling parts off them, since they might be worth a lot whole, but so far, I see some really nice shit for LA-2A projects, etc. It would also make great props for period monster movies or sci-fi stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tod

emrr may know.

I put my home brew power amp (I built in '70s) into the power supply section of an old WE 32c(?). I sand blasted the chassis and repainted it black. I kept the two step power switch, and used the first stage (filaments) to power up my reservoir caps through a surge limit resistor. In the final on position, I connected speaker relays, and shorted out the surge resistor.

JR

It doesn't sound like WE gear.  It would have no other transformer brands, for most things.  You see other companies components as PSU in transmitters, but that's about it.  Are you sure it's not just 'WE patents', whihc many things say.  Don't even clean anything; take pics like it is.  If it's the real deal, it's worth more dirty (untouched). 

Mr. Snoid said:
Hey,

I scored a rack full of Mid-30's WE theater amps and power supplies for a price so low I'm ashamed to even say!
<snip>

Thanks,

Tod

Look here :
http://www.moviemice.com/we/index.php#a42
M

Mr. Snoid said:
Guys,
I just uploaded some pics of the amps. I'm starting to think some could be Altec manufactured in transition after the forced seperation from Western. Were probably from a paramount Publix theater.

http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/thumbnails.php?album=396

Hey,

So far, I haven't been able to find specific model numbers on the equipment itself, with one exception (model 359?? (from memory... I'm at work) that doesn't generate a hit on google.) I've been searching all weekend, and the results are nada.

What I've got, working my way up from the bottom of the rack:

1.) big-ass power high-voltage supply with 2 866W 1000v mercury recitifiers, a shitload of oilcan capacitors, and about a 20 pound xformer.

2.) Another smaller supply with a couple of Mullard GZ34s on it, maybe for lower voltage supply,

3.) A big ass regulator probably for adjusting plate currents, filament currents, etc

4.) a big-ass power amp using twin 845W triodes

6.) an input or driver amp with daven attennuators, 1625 output tubes, Peerless tranny, UTC resonant frequency tone controls (which looked like an add-on unit), some metal 12sJ?? metal tubes, etc.

7.) Another voodo-box full of meters and switches.  Most of the meters are by Simpson, not all WE.

The components include a couple of nice Peerless input and output trannies, nice UTC trannies, and an Acrousound output tranny.

I'll try to get some pictures, but I won't bother until I clean the 80 years of crap from everything. Most of the tubes were broken, with the exception of one United 845W, the two Mullard GZ34's, and some other wierdos. The frame of the bottom power supply has rusted an inch or so from the bottom lip,but nothing serious is compromised. Everything is in Black wrinkle paint, with period knobs and external brass scales attached to the aluminum faceplates.

Can anybody point me to some good sites or archives?  So far, the Bunker of Doom site looks promising, but trying to download a 6oo+meg pdf of old WE amp data would take 11 hours, so I quit the download.

From the configuration, has anybody got ideas as to what models they could be? I know I shouldn't think of pulling parts off them, since they might be worth a lot whole, but so far, I see some really nice shit for LA-2A projects, etc. It would also make great props for period monster movies or sci-fi stuff.

Thanks,

Tod

OMG!

I think I've figured out what the vent ring on the front of the piece I thought was Western Electric... It is the wind screen from a Western Electric 47-A amp with 394 capsule (transmitter)!!!!!... sheesh...

Take a look at the coutant site: http://www.coutant.org/we47/index.html

About halfway down the page, you'll see two clear pictures of the screen out of the housing. Somebody gutted the mic to make a couple of vents on the front of this supply!  I guess 70 years ago that mic was worthless.  Geez!

I'd take those off and sell them right away.  70 years ago you couldn't find the tubes for one of those, or afford them.  With the internet, it's actually easier today.  The 394 was used on several different preamps, I think. 

I still say it's all home made.  Those rack cases are the standard Bud DIY stuff.  Altec 'transition' would not have looked like this, and the parts are the wrong era.  A grey UTC LS is mid '50's or later.  Those Peerless case types didn't exist until the late '40's. 

Most people would strip this for the valuable parts, and trash the rest.  Spend a long long time studying and thinking about that before doing so.  I don't see much of value with it intact.  You wouldn't get much for that pile at a Hamfest. 

Thanks, Doug and everyone else!

I guess I have some nice transformers, cool meters, caps and chokes to sell or trade.  I see an LA2A using the peerless or UTC inputs, as long as I've got a nice input. As for everything else, looks like I'll be parting it out, little by little. I can't afford the second 845W tube to get the big amp working, nor do I listen to much mono these days.

Anybody have a line on a couple NOS 1625 tubes?

Tod

Back