new to site looking for advice on a diy mic pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malacoda77

hello

this is the first time i've seen this site and it's a little overwhelming, so much info.

i was wondering if somebody could give me a little advice or direction on mic pre's.  i haven't done diy electronics for a while and never worked with tubes.  i built my own stereo from heath kit and such back in the '80s and repaired some things but that's about it.

i'm looking to put together my own mic pre's (for the experience and ...um budgetary concerns).  I can solder and read schematics but not savvy enough with tubes for transformer/tube alchemy.  i don't have the time or the money to spend it either. 

here's what i'm looking to do:

nutrix -> trim -> tube -> 1/4" out
48v option
highest possible dynamic range
lowest possible thd

i'm going to continue to look on this site to see what's out there, however any help will be appreciated.  your brains are greater than mine.

Maybe Gustav's "Pre Grinder" kit - https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=93

Based on a That1512 preamplifier IC - pretty good sounding in it's price/difficulty range.

Jakob E.

If you are brand new to things, try the Edens from Expat Audio.
There's plenty of room to DIY on the power supply, the front end and the metalwork, whilst the actual pre section is pre-assembled and tested here in Texas.

DIY is all about quick success and something to show off, and get you hooked! Going the Eden route gets you something that you can get working quickly, feel good about, and dig in a little deeper!

Yes, this is blind promotion, but I've been in your shoes, and wish that it had been this easy to get into.

Cheers

Rochey

Thanks guys for the info.  I've also been checking out seventhcircle.com.  they look pretty good.

Most of what i'm seeing is geared towards solid state.  I was hoping to find more about tube pres.  Any reason why it all leans that way.  Is there an advantage to recording solid state vs tube for certain instruments?  I use a tube pre for bass and vocals and figured that it would be nice to go all tube, but some of the solid state pres look pretty good.

I also noticed that so of the pres are modeled after vintage units.  Are there any that I should be considering to give the best sound?  are there specific ones that would work better for certain insturments?

You may also wish to check out the kits from Classic Audio Products of Illinois.
Good variety, great sound, good value with complete kids, excellent documentation and a fun build.
Also...Jeff Steiger is a great resource and a regular on this forum

Back