"Normal" ribbon appearance?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the recipe ;D

A few years back i came across this video, which gave me the courage to consider hunting down some "dead" ribbon mics :)

https://youtu.be/UIVkRQ4MI0M?list=ULUIVkRQ4MI0M

I just chanced across this Superlux in a FB ad at the time, and i couldn't turn it down for that price :) Used, of course.

I haven't yet gotten around to figuring out / finding some finer-than-Lego gears to cobble together a ribbon crimper, though...

Khron said:
The "upside down" part is very relative :D And what if? Well, i'd have to shell out some money for "esoteric" parts like those, first of all.

And on the other hand, how much of the "sound" of an active ribbon mic comes from the circuitry (barring any obvious tone-shaping)?

Didn't mean literally you that was like a passive sentence, anyway, in theory interesting (in which case simulation could be employed). P-channel JFET's (at least the low noise ones) seem to be expensive and generally JFET's are vanishing away. R102 head amp does the impedance matching but still some/most preamps miss the gain part.

rockinrob86,
The 1.8um foil is expensive (and rare), you really have to be able to handle it.  You could though first practice with some imitation silver which is cheap but even harder to handle - been wondering if you could stack two or three of them (they are 0.5 micron thick usually) to make the job easier. Also it would be nice if you could somehow glue them (imitation silver leaves I mean) together though the glue might be too heavy to make a proper ribbon. The glue could help with the resonances though.

Regarding the HF attenuation it might be the transformer, or the loading of the microphone. Instead of using EQ you should use a  preamp with a much higher input impedance first to see if the attenuation is impedance related problem.

Hi mhelin,

I don’t think I’m having any issues with my ribbons, they work and sound great with the 1.8 micron foil.  I also mentioned practicing on silver leaf.  Now that I have done it, I only ruin one or two strips of the good stuff every now and then.

As for the eq, I was just pointing out that ribbons can take a ton of eq and still sound natural, they don’t “need” it.  Really depends on what is going on in the track and what you’re recording.

Latest posts

Back