North Carolina

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to NC.  This is sobering.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/opinion/article122618669.html

micaddict said:
Seems the moderators are not in agreement about that one.
Despite the temptation I let people get away with saying things to me (with only a warning), that I wouldn't let them say to other members.

As long as posters do not overtly insult each other, they can argue about anything they want here in the brewery.
I hear you, though.
There is no restriction against embarrassing oneself with hyperbole, some members seem to like arguing more than others (one way to win long protracted arguments is to never give up). In fact there are 20x as many views as posts, so most members just avoid the drama of engagement and lurk.
The thing is, internet has even taken over elections themselves.
For better and worse, but this (not this literally) but social media, is the new playing field to effect political persuasion (It used to be TV ads).

Well, both ways actually.
Funny back several decades ago I pondered a way to speed up democratic votes using the phone system (this was long before the WWW). People could have a box on their phone land line with a 3 position switch to select yeah, nay, or no vote. The phone network would poll the lines over night and in the morning we could tabulate the millions of votes.  Of course this was based on my less sophisticated view of governance (simple democracy). Now that sounds more like a bad science fiction plot. California seems to be embracing simple democracy with all their referendums.

JR

Despite the temptation I let people get away with saying things to me (with only a warning), that I wouldn't let them say to other members.

As long as posters do not overtly insult each other, they can argue about anything they want here in the brewery.

Perhaps more than that I meant that one moderator doesn't like to discuss politics here while the other loves it.

micaddict said:
The thing is, internet has even taken over elections themselves.

"Nail, meet head"

You're pointing to exactly what I think is the problem these days. We were previously at the mercy of investigative journalism in the shape of television and print, and these days anyone can attribute any fact to anyone on the internet, and many are treating bloggers as having the same baseline veracity as actual investigative journalists.... or even experts in fields, such as scientists.

JohnRoberts said:
I'm loving it less these days. 

JR

Sucks when you have to actually respond to questions and back up your assertions as opposed to treating posts like blogging.

mattiasNYC said:
Sucks when you have to actually respond to questions and back up your assertions as opposed to treating posts like blogging.
It sucks when I try to ignore you and you keep poking me...  I do not have to do anything just because you want me to.

JR

PS: This is why I prefer circuit design, the electrons don't argue with you and they behave predictably.

I don't think you're not predictable. I'm sure that's a by now reciprocated sentiment.

Back