not personal security

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tands

WASHINGTON — As a clandestine officer at the Central Intelligence Agency in 2002, Gina Haspel oversaw the torture of two terrorism suspects and later took part in an order to destroy videotapes documenting their brutal interrogations at a secret prison in Thailand.

On Thursday, Ms. Haspel was named the deputy director of the C.I.A.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/us/politics/cia-deputy-director-gina-haspel-torture-thailand.html

Attachments

• torturer.jpg
    torturer.jpg
    47.5 KB
Kind of a weird choice for secretary of state alright , bound to set off a round of diplomatic sphincter clenching both at home and abroad .

A badass, right? Some sadistic freak? Like Beria?

I think you're on the wrong side of history, John.

Is "we need a badass at the CIA" yours? We've certainly had plenty of 'thoughtful discussion' of torture, lo these many years, haven't we?

Attachments

• abughraib.jpg
    abughraib.jpg
    15.9 KB
This was a sad episode in America. Hard to believe anyone believes this was the right way for America to conduct itself militarily.
She's dead on arrival at Congress. The reason Trump can't get his picks approved is because they are so poor. His own party can't stomach his poor decisions (except tax cuts of course).

The reality was it did more to help the "bad guys" than hurt them as propaganda against us.

Pearl Harbor Syndrome ?  (Never Again ? )

and about "they" can have all the related right reasons ,

yesterday Japan , and today ? (who ? )

many people are waiting to see what  will happen when electric cars will replace the carcinogenic oil wrecks
and the oil will no longer be the "cover" excuse ,
for the speculation  of that greedy  " 1% "
true responsible of big part of ………..

it is possible call  : "Civil"
a nation where people own large number of assault weapons ?
not sufficient some Taser ?
Who they have to kill ?  (school children  apart)
More "Natives" ?  ..Again ?

It is scientifically proven that violent video games and movies are so dangerous for young psyche
conditioning their behavior ,
why they don't do nothing about ?
Why they let the children play with video games where the extermination is the target to win ?
To win what ?
Same for violent movies , and  those which include explicit drugs use .

ps
Chinese are investing a lot more than any other nation on renewable energy ,
magnetic elevation trains , the true future of the continental transports  (people and goods )
more fast and secure than the highly polluting (and disasters risks included) airplanes and sea ships
from most east China point to the most far europe west point and all African continent too,
and probably to both Americas trough the  Bering narrow ,
Idro electric plants
solar photovoltaic plans will replace the infamous coal-fired power ,
and where possible geothermal.

India looking for 100 billions dollars for replace all coal-fired power plants with solar photovoltaic ,

and  Urss ?
north pole disaster? … what intelligence…
….. how much "poverty"...

dmp said:
This was a sad episode in America. Hard to believe anyone believes this was the right way for America to conduct itself militarily.
She's dead on arrival at Congress. The reason Trump can't get his picks approved is because they are so poor. His own party can't stomach his poor decisions (except tax cuts of course).
Senate minority leader (Schumer) has openly promised to use parliamentary rules to slow senate business
NY Post said:
The Democrats, led by Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer of New York, are running out the clock on every nominee, demanding 30 hours of “debate” (of course, no one shows up to actually debate) in hopes that, come 2019, they will return to the majority.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/05/its-time-to-end-democrats-destructive-confirmation-slowdown/
This is arguably team politics
The reality was it did more to help the "bad guys" than hurt them as propaganda against us.
Which bad guys?

The world is like 3D chess, and hard to view objectively from a parochial perspective (not that I have many answers).

Arguably almost everything in the recent domestic news cycles makes us look bad to somebody overseas, but that's the price we pay for promoting an open society. 

JR

SIXTYNINER said:
Pearl Harbor Syndrome ?  (Never Again ? )
as compared to what alternative?
and about "they" can have all the related right reasons ,
??
yesterday Japan , and today ? (who ? )
Right now we are trying to help prevent Japan (our ally) from being dominated by a nuclear N Korea.
many people are waiting to see what  will happen when electric cars will replace the carcinogenic oil wrecks
and the oil will no longer be the "cover" excuse ,
for the speculation  of that greedy  " 1% "
true responsible of big part of ………..
You need to think this through... electric cars need electricity the majority of which comes from burning fossil fuels.  In 2017 62% of US electricity came from fossil fuels. While I expect that to decline slowly (but not because of electric cars).

Arguably oil is already past it's prime... Saudi Arabia is pedally as fast as they can to publicly sell off ARAMCO, they are working hard to prop up oil prices as well as they can, before the asset sale.
it is possible call  : "Civil"
a nation where people own large number of assault weapons ?
yes... While it appears the biggest problem with AR-15s is that it looks like a military weapon... I was issued the real deal (M-16) in the army.
not sufficient some Taser ?
don't taze me bro...  Tazer changed their company name because of bad publicity, now they have a strong business putting video cameras on police, and helping departments manage all the data.
Who they have to kill ?  (school children  apart)
??
More "Natives" ?  ..Again ?
??
It is scientifically proven that violent video games and movies are so dangerous for young psyche
conditioning their behavior ,
why they don't do nothing about ?
Why they let the children play with video games where the extermination is the target to win ?
Actually there have been psychological studies that suggest the opposite phenomenon.  I know it sounds intuitive that violent games should desensitize players to violence, but an alternative suggestion is that it gets the violent impulses out of their system.
To win what ?
Same for violent movies , and  those which include explicit drugs use .
odd what is allowed and not in movies... no smoking or sec, but violence is OK... But that is protected speech.
ps
Chinese are investing a lot more than any other nation on renewable energy ,
magnetic elevation trains , the true future of the continental transports  (people and goods )
more fast and secure than the highly polluting (and disasters risks included) airplanes and sea ships
from most east China point to the most far europe west point and all African continent too,
and probably to both Americas trough the  Bering narrow ,
Idro electric plants
solar photovoltaic plans will replace the infamous coal-fired power ,
and where possible geothermal.
China tops the WHO (world health organization) list for deadly outdoor pollution. India is not far behind.  As the public gets more wealthy from world trade, they are demanding cleaner air. In the very poor parts of the world their is a trade off between clean air and cheap energy.  China want to sell us clean energy infrastructure.
India looking for 100 billions dollars for replace all coal-fired power plants with solar photovoltaic ,
Solar is unlikely to significantly displace fossil fuel in my lifetime. India also has a nuclear power generation program using next generation nuclear technology.
and  Urss ?
north pole disaster? … what intelligence…
??
….. how much "poverty"...
World poverty is actually being reduced, we need to robust world trade to continue raising the wealth of third world.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
You need to think this through... electric cars need electricity the majority of which comes from burning fossil fuels.  In 2017 62% of US electricity came from fossil fuels. While I expect that to decline slowly (but not because of electric cars).

Electric cars will run with electric energy from  renewable energies !
And energy sharing net .
Remember that the wife of "Henry Ford" (motors)  and many other US womans at the beginning of 900 loved electric cars , more easy to drive , more clean, less noisy ,

the oil engine "way" was chosen just for moneys interests of very few mans like "jpm,hf,  oil lobbies & co." ,
it is not well known ?

Big part of US people and rest of world too
know well what  the Oil  lobbies do against the renewable energies ,

how is possible that the Florida state a.k.a the sun "paradise" still get most part of electric energy
from fossil fuels plants ?
no moneys incentives / bonus for who put a solar panels mini plant on the proper home roof
as in all Europe and some other part of the world ?

JohnRoberts said:
Arguably oil is already past it's prime... Saudi Arabia is pedally as fast as they can to publicly sell off

All of us (world) have paid salty in terms of moneys & health their "cathedrals" in the desert….
what will happen to him at the first tsunami ?
who will pay later ?

JohnRoberts said:
While it appears the biggest problem with AR-15s is that it looks like a military weapon... I was issued the real deal (M-16) in the army. don't taze me bro...  Tazer changed their company name because of bad publicity, now they have a strong business putting video cameras on police, and helping departments manage all the data. ?? ?? Actually there have been psychological studies that suggest the opposite phenomenon.  I know it sounds intuitive that violent games should desensitize players to violence, but an alternative suggestion is that it gets the violent impulses out of their system. odd what is allowed and not in movies... no smoking or sec, but violence is OK... But that is protected speech.
do you really think that the boy that have killed various boys (and girls) at school  in the related last  case
would be able to do it without have the chance to get so easy the weapon used of  ?

have you young sons that go to school in US ?

US have national guard , and so well armed police , fbi , special agents , departments ,
private surveillance , private detectives , bounty hunters ,
it is not more than sufficient ?

anyway in my (and many millions of other people) humble opinion ,
as in so many other country around the world ,
own one-1 or two-2  normal gun weapon (not assault type) for self defense is not wrong thing ,
but they have to be kept well guarded  inside the home  , very difficult to reach from
children , young sons , etc.. not authorized ,

and for carry it around the city  (out of the home) a special authorization not simple to obtain is required ,

for those who feel particularly "patriotic" (and is not national guard officially member)
can own only 1-one assault type weapon , but :
1-The weapon have to be guarded inside a national guard base armory ,
2-owner of that weapon can use it only inside the national guard base for practice periodically ,
at practice area , on the days set by a specific regulation  ,
and he can take care of the weapon (clean , maintenance etc..)
only inside the  national guard base armory .

if the owner lives in a small town and the first national guard base is too far from home
the local sheriff office (appropriately structured)  could be the national guard base "replacement"
(small town , less people , less weapons, less space required )

in case of  "invasion"  emergency … , the "patriot" have to go at the related base ,
and submit to what provided from defense plans.

otherwise it have to be illegal ! with strong pains (as for drugs illegal sales).

it is civil that there is normal citizens (womans too) that go around the city with :
1- gun behind the back or in the chest holster ,
1-gun in the ankle holster ,
1-gun in the car holder
1-gun under the seat (drive side)
1-gun under the seat (passenger front side)
1-rifle in the car trunk
and if a pickup inside the cockpit right back the driver ,

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 
(and not only…..)

Is still Far West age  ?  ?  ?

JohnRoberts said:
China tops the WHO (world health organization) list for deadly outdoor pollution. India is not far behind.  As the public gets more wealthy from world trade, they are demanding cleaner air. In the very poor parts of the world their is a trade off between clean air and cheap energy.  China want to sell us clean energy infrastructure. Solar is unlikely to significantly displace fossil fuel in my lifetime.
i can't agree about ,
in any case nobody is obliged to buy from other if have clean energy plants in proper nation
or is partner in a "consortium" that own clean energy plants.

JohnRoberts said:
India also has a nuclear power generation program using next generation nuclear technology. ??
from what  i found about India nuclear plants should be progressively dismantled
they need external investments as help to stay in Kyoto protocol ,
because no much from internal economy ,
nuclear plants are wanted from lobbies that  build them , that are not India natives … "coincidentally"...

JohnRoberts said:
World poverty is actually being reduced, we need to robust world trade to continue raising the wealth of third world.
JR
and it is a so  good thing (the 1% cannot survive versus 99% …)

but what you mean as poverty ?
do you know how many poors have created the last (piloted…) crisis ?

scott2000 said:
Wrong....I'm surprised that Florida would be the only State (location?) that still gets most of it's energy from fossil fuels.... And there are  incentive programs and tax credits for solar.... And an extreme number of homes with solar panels as well as  huge solar farms...... I can see 3 homes covered in panels from my house.....

Funny thing is, they don't operate without being tied to the grid...... No grid....no solar power to use....power goes out....power goes out......... Not sure I like that but, it's the technology right now I guess.....

Besides, have you ever been to Florida???? It's tropical weather and isn't as sunny as much as you'd think from it's name....

And Disney World isn't the Happiest place on earth.....lol

I don't think anyone is debating that electric power from renewable energy would be a great thing . I just think there's more involved.....

The Sunshine State....lol

well to know that something is changing there …

but how much Florida " % " electric power required come from solar panels and renewable energy ?

scott2000 said:
If the install was free, I'd get a solar system for sure....... My neighbors paid almost $40,000 for their systems.....Each....... Thank goodness for the incentives and low power bills........

how much kw hour produce a 40,000 bucks home solar panels plant there ?
how many square meters of panels ?

I predict in future centuries every home will have a roof covered by Elon Musk's proposed solar tiles, but the cost right now is impractical even with massive taxpayer subsidies.

As I already posted we now get the majority of our electricity from burning fossil fuels.  There are huge alternate energy sources we can tap in the future when they become cost effective.  Besides solar roofs on every building, tidal flows, and sea surface temperature differentials could be tapped, but for now fossil fuel is cheap and plentiful. For now it will help more people than it hurts by delivering low cost energy.

It will run out soon enough, and hopefully we will have alternate energy sources to seamlessly transfer to when appropriate.

JR

PS: I have always thought that solar efficiency could be improved by combining rooftop solar electricity panels, with solar water heaters, while this would not be trivial to keep reliable over multiple decades.

If they took all the money from 'climate change' research and poured it into fusion research we could solve both problems at once.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
If they took all the money from 'climate change' research and poured it into fusion research we could solve both problems at once.

Cheers

Ian
Assuming fusion could be economically practical...(why not go for coldfusion while you are at it?  ;D ).  Fusion is not without safety/reliability issues.

We are having trouble just taking advantage of next generation nuclear (fission) power generation technology that is notably safer that prior technology and doesn't proliferate fissionable byproducts.

JR

Fukushima it will not be the last one ,
and much fish that we eat is contaminated ,

please guys let me friendly say what as follows :

A nuclear plant cost 7-8 billions euro , and various years for build  and make it run ,
relatively small quantity of work for workers and company ,
because , normally a single Corporation (.."much friend"  of tax haven) get the job ,

anyway :
with that moneys amount :
how many solar panels can be  installed and  putted into operation ?
And in only some month !

Considered that :
a 3 - 6 Kw-H. home solar panels plant today cost between 10 - 15,000 euro
(and produce more energy than the previous models , thanks to solar cells research )
and require only 2-3 days for roof installation
and less more if on the ground
and it start to produce energy (and money gain for owner)  immediately ,

So now please  :

Take that 7-8 billions euro  required for that Letal  nuclear plant  ,
and to anyone private citizen that install a 3-6 Kw-H solar panels plant on the roof
give the 50% of the cost (5 - 7,500 euros) of the solar panels plants as 5-10 years loan with 1,5% (year)  interest fee ,

then :
if 5000 euro for each solar panels plant ,
the result is :
7,000,000,000 : 5000  =  1,400,000 new solar panels plants ready in some month .

8,000,000,000 : 5000  =  1,600,000 new solar panels plants ready in some month .

if 7500  for each 6 Kw H - solar panels plant :
the result is :
7,000,000,000 : 7,500  =  933,333 new solar panels plants ready in some month .

8,000,000,000 : 7,500  =  1,066,666  new solar panels plants ready in some month .

to what above , add the many economic benefits in terms of  jobs increase for people
as production , installation , and much more better distribution of wealth , and related wellness ,
(taxes moneys stay on the country for better medical care , school , and related)

and the so most important : Saving the Planet , the only one our home in the Universe .

No 100,000 years required for wait the letal nuclear waste decay.

Your figures do not stack up. The UK installed 709,000 domestic solar panel systems last year. By 2020 we expet to have 10 million homes equipped with solar panels. Even then, in the height of summer, this will only produce 40% of the total electricity required. In the winter is produces hardly any.

Yoi may think the UK lags behind the rest of Europe but this is not true. We are number 4 in Europe for solar installations, ahead of Spain which has a LOT more sun then we do.

Cheers

Ian

Good point Ian, however, I think that where we could do better is the home intermediate storage i.e. battery back up.  Wider spread use of these would smooth out the demand bumps and make the whole system more worth while.  I have tried several times to get a BBU added to our PV array and it is very expensive mainly because of an inverter swap being necessary.  Also, maybe some of the car battery technology could be used in this way.

Regards

Mie

ruffrecords said:
Your figures do not stack up. The UK installed 709,000 domestic solar panel systems last year. By 2020 we expet to have 10 million homes equipped with solar panels. Even then, in the height of summer, this will only produce 40% of the total electricity required. In the winter is produces hardly any.

Yoi may think the UK lags behind the rest of Europe but this is not true. We are number 4 in Europe for solar installations, ahead of Spain which has a LOT more sun then we do.
Cheers
Ian
Happy to know it , Ian ! ;  )

Spain have to work more about ,

but jus as "well" 
(that i suppose you just know)

clean energy can be produced also with synergistic consortia
like this:
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desertec

important is do not waste that precious energy
for roads light up from 23:00 to 5:00 o'clock

only for cats that chase rats …..

as various countries do only because some not much competent  "administrator"
is too much "friend" of energy supplier company (moneys)
and not of those of the citizens….

(try to summ how many KW electric power (an citizens moneys) can be saved
turning off the 60-70% unnecessary road lights )

Back