Now I have seen it all. Behringer vintage microphones .................

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that surprising...

I recall a project inside Peavey back in the mid 80s to mimic some classic recording microphones for much lower price points. That project never delivered the goods, and was quietly abandoned.

JR

I suspect the market here is folks shooting youtube videos or on zoom or google meets all the time who want a cool looking mic in their shot. It doesn't have to sound cool (as long as it works and is easy to use)--it just needs to look cool.

Yes, the commercial blurb on berhinger website is oriented towards streamers. In fact they copied/paste the exact same text for each microphone, just changing the name. But the frequency response graphs do vary a lot between mics.

They're all 0,5" electret capsules.

It was clear after reading the blurb the target market , these mics bear only the looks of the vintage unit , maybe the case work could be used for something more worthwhile like a housing a proper ribbon motor , then again its hard to get an idea of the actual size or build quality from the Behringer press video .

What would be good example of a modern ribbon mic to experiment around with a Fet based head amp ?
has any one had luck with bargain basement stuff like the MXL ? Ive also seen a Stagg SRM70 ribbon that looks a lot like the Royers but much cheaper .

I suspect the market here is folks shooting youtube videos or on zoom or google meets all the time who want a cool looking mic in their shot. It doesn't have to sound cool (as long as it works and is easy to use)--it just needs to look cool.
This is exactly what I thought when I saw them. "These would look cool in a video."

In fact, I'd consider getting one, not actually using it on stream, and hiding the real microphone. One of the late night shows did this with a vintage microphone on the desk, I forget which one.

Back