NTE SW04 solder wick

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello!

I had posted some of this on another thread I was doing, but I thought I would mention it here with additional information...

A while back I had purchased some NTE SW04-5 solder wick (5ft) from a local shop, which previously I had never used this brand. Whilst removing solder, I noticed it emitted a light  fragrance akin to Barbosal shaving cream. This happened with various circuit boards. I had ran out faster than I thought, so I purchased more from the same place of the same length and the aroma was still present. I had to make more and a few corrections on the project at the time, causing me to expend each 5ft roll rather quickly. Then I found that they made a 50ft roll (SW04-50) which I had to order from Amazon. The refreshing scent was no longer present casting me into a pit of great sorrow.

I am baffled why the pleasant desoldering experience would only be had with the 5ft roll and not the 50ft, even though it is the same product. I will have to buy some more 5ft rolls and see if there is a pattern or if it was just an unexplained, random event.

Thanks!

Paul

different flux, I wouldn't expect it to always be the same flux...

Back before they invented solder wick we just used some stranded wire and dipped it in liquid flux to wick up excess solder.

JR

Copy that.

If that is the case, I may just stick with the 5' rolls. The refreshing aroma lessens my frustration when having to make corrections on a board, reducing the chances of using language which my mother would not approve.

Thanks!

Paul

I thought the same thing!

I smelled but didn't inhale....

It's more like a scent from a candle burning as opposed to breathing in smoke. I have a small, low power fan to push fumes away from my face when working.

Thanks!

Paul

Back