Old 1970's music

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

Any one who knows me realizes I am a serious LOUD rock and roll fan.

Gimme Zep and Hendrix and Grand Funk and Mountain and  and.....

But I've been hearing this song in recent Mitubishi TV ads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA2M8-csDDg

Man, it reminds me of different times, especially when Debbie (my one True Love, from 1992 until 2013...) was still alive and kickin' with me.

She liked that "smooth" sort of stuff, which brings me to one of the best recorded albums of all time (IMHO)...  Best Engineering Grammy winner in 1978:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gPFZlw1dw0

TOTALLY clean and clear, obviously done with 2" tape since we didn't have anything else!!  No autotune or other digi-garbage.

Engineering:  Roger Nichols, Elliot Scheiner, Al Schmitt, Bill Schnee

No hiss or hum...or clams.

Maybe too perfect?  lol!  Still, the epitome of what COULD be done with analog, recorded back when the Earth's Crust Was Still Cooling.

37 years ago.

Bri

Yeah Brian, some of that SD stuff was fairly hifi.
At the time I recall clearly having that on the turntable while drinking beers
with friends and girls with bikinis  in florida when I lived there.
Played over Altec A7 voice of the theater of all things. It sounded great
particularly if I was half drunk.

Les

Roger Nichols lived up the street from me.
Owning the first and only 24 track studio in the Inland Empire at that time (1981-Harrison-Otari)
Rodger would bring his wife in to record her. I Remember stories about his projects, one being he sampled
Jeff Piccaro's drums (Goucho) and had Windell play the samples. Windell was his sampling drum machine he invented.
Nobody ever believed me that a drum machine was playing the drum parts.
Jeff was given drumming credits, but thanks was given to Windell on the liner notes.
That Steeley Dan stuff alway had to perfect.

There´s ´too perfect´ shit aplenty, but this SteelyDan album is ´just perfect´. Music for sunny evenings (like today)...
Thanks for posting!

I love where you are coming from Brian, Hendrix, zep......But in regards to the linked songs, I don't think anything can ever be too perfect when its actually played, sure there might be an occasional punch in but that's nothing on whats often done on digital these days, and Al Schmitt, that guy is still making great sounding records and doing it the way he wants to and "not" according to trends, just listen to Diana Krall's album "when I look into your eyes" and you can hear Schmitt's modern example of old skool approach... still prefer Led Zep 1 haha! But was relating mr Schmitt's work that was in one of your links!
WOW WEEEE!

this station does 1909 to 1999,

so you get Zep, then Crosby, then BTO, then Elvis, then Carpenters, then Hendrix,

skitzoid,

plus weird commercials for  Lucky Strike cigs and Slinkys,

sometimes cool, sometimes not...  right now we have Out Of Limits, instrumental,

http://stevemichaelsvaultovinyl.com/listen/

Brian.. love your Fav's list!! :) :)

Don't forget  Joe's Garage.. Zappa
(1979 if my old memory serves me correct)
Back in the day we ear tuned PA systems with this guy! ;D ;D :) 8)

Does analog get any better than this??

Best..

GARY

I've noticed on a few " tribute  " projects that the original raw trks don't seem to sound as good as their
original mixes , when new material is added.  These people redoing old recordings just don't put the time
in or the spirit is not there ? re-mixing is one thing but reworking seems not quite as successful as the
original projects themselves , maybe the blending is more difficult than people imagine for  " old inferior "
70's recordings!

Back