Old Irish Amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firehazard

From a time when 60W was enough for the whole band :)

Two Phillips xf4 EL34's, 3 Mullard 12ax7 and an 12at7 PI inside. Very neat wiring.

Made in the early 1970's here in Ireland. Nice big Partridge style transformers wound by the maker.

For 150 euro I just couldn't resist.

Take care....

Attachments

• MarmacFrontPanel.jpg
    MarmacFrontPanel.jpg
    45 KB
I've used a few over the years when I lived back in Ireland.  I have a really nice 6 channel Hiwatt PA amp in my house there, used it for rehearsals for years but it makes a killer guitar amp.

Hi Ruari,

the Hiwatts have become very expensive here. The last PA Hiwatt I saw was 1500 euro.

As well as sounding great they are just so nicely built.

I'd say the guys who designed this had been looking very carefully into a Hiwatt.

Take care...

Attachments

• MarmacInside1.jpg
    MarmacInside1.jpg
    59.4 KB
Hi okgb,

I have a bit of a weakness for old tube amps and test equipment.

For overdrive I am well supplied already. Even a stereo one. 375 watts before I found this one. A half horsepower of glowing goodness.

Then there is the solid state PA that appears to be growing in an uncontrollable way. I am scared to think too much about that. :eek:

Discovering Groupdiy hasn't helped.

Tube microphones, compressors, equalisers and even a tube mixer!

So I will just replace the filters on this one and see if it finds its place. It won't be lonely anyhow.

Take care...

firehazard said:
Hi Ruari,

the Hiwatts have become very expensive here. The last PA Hiwatt I saw was 1500 euro.

As well as sounding great they are just so nicely built.

I'd say the guys who designed this had been looking very carefully into a Hiwatt.

Take care...

I had no idea the Hiwatt PAs were getting up there in value!  Cool. 

Yes, the Marmac definitely has some inspiration from the Hiwatt family.

Depending on if you were worried about the ' devaluation " of it , you could add some 1:10 transformers
to the input and if you built xlr  to 1/4 " cables leave the original holes but take true balanced Mic In's
If you're a gtr player , you could mix a few different sources for tracking , two preamps , one cab sim , whatever
you have some room to move !

Hi,

I love the input transformer idea! It seems completely appropriate for something like this.

A pair of mic channels would be so useful. As you can see there is lots of room.

I'm not concerned about affecting any resale value. Outside of Ireland this amp would have almost no value at all. Even here very few people have any interest in them and the price I paid seems to be the average they sell for. Less than the tubes would bring on ebay.

So I will have some fun with this one. If it had mic channels I can easily add another amp off the slave output. I have 240 watts of Peavey tube power amps here that I can use. Plenty for an Irish pub gig. :)

Thanks Ruari and Greg for taking the time to offer your thoughts. I am delighted that someone else is amused by my new toy.

Take care...

Attachments

• MarmacTopView1.jpg
    MarmacTopView1.jpg
    35.8 KB
Hi Bruno,

we have what is called the "Granny Rule" here. One or more grandparents qualifies you as irish enough to play soccer for Ireland. You are overqualified! If jokes about drinking belong anywhere it is surely The Brewery. ;)

Hi Greg,

after you suggested mic inputs I have been looking at the front panel and thinking. And thinking.

I have a nice big piece of 2mm mild steel sheet just waiting to meet my drill press.

Tomorrow is a holiday here so I think I will make sparks and sawdust. Thanks again.

Take care...

Hi,

since it seems that what I really want is a tube mixer I made this today. The glue is still wet.

The outside width is 17.5 inches so it will fit between rack rails and the inside is 401mm so eight 50mm pieces of angle will fill it up.

Take care...

Attachments

• WoodenSleeve1.jpg
    WoodenSleeve1.jpg
    52.3 KB
firehazard said:
Hi Bruno,

we have what is called the "Granny Rule" here. One or more grandparents qualifies you as irish enough to play soccer for Ireland. You are overqualified! If jokes about drinking belong anywhere it is surely The Brewery. ;)

Hi Greg,

after you suggested mic inputs I have been looking at the front panel and thinking. And thinking.

I have a nice big piece of 2mm mild steel sheet just waiting to meet my drill press.

Tomorrow is a holiday here so I think I will make sparks and sawdust. Thanks again.

Take care...

I thank you for the acceptance, as my father was born there, but me on the soccer team?  You would have to call the medical emergency number after a few minutes.
Best,
Bruno2000

Allot of my work these days is in T.V. sports broadcasting , I was working the Woman's national soccer team
exhibition game , and Wow , running all out for 90 minutes more like Hockey than football where
the play can go on for sometime not those wimpy football player stopping after a few seconds ! impressive

Back