Oliver Postgate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

Oliver Postgate, creator of much of Britain's most popular children’s animation, died yesterday aged 83.

Whilst browsing the BBC site, I came across this Postgate gem on the subject of politicians: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/news/7774018.stm

This wasn't the only Postgate program deemed too political for broadcast. There was also an edition of Ivor the Engine, where Ivor helps a fox hide from the Hunt. Apparently, this episode was never shown until around 20 years later on C4's 'Banned' night.

Postgate was a class act. A man that possessed integrity, as opposed to the soulless corporate-owned CGI studios that manufacture the bulk of animated programming today.

As well as his animation, he also narrated the BBC documentary about the Radiophonic Workshop, 'Alchemists of Sound': http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cKPGzX5kZd0

As a fan of animation, I consider myself fortunate to be of a generation exposed to Postgate's work.

Justin

Thanks for that!

Oliver Postgate was a big part of my childhood. That must be true for a whole generation! I loved the clangers as a child. When I rewatched them as an adult was mildy surprised to see they were knitted!

My admiration for the guy was multiplied exponentially a few years ago when some friends and I tried to make a stop-frame animation as a video for a song. Incredibly hard and time consuming.

83 isn't a bad innings - what an amazing guy.

My former avatar ('the Master' as played by Roger Delgado) once watched "the Clangers" as part of a Doctor Who episode... -I think it was Episode 1 of "the Sea Devils". -He heard the whistling and -in a brief semi-comic interlude- appeared to try to learn their language...

I loved a lot of the old Postgate stuff. -Thanks for the info. Sad news, but I'm 'glad' to receive such news none the less.

Keith

Hi,

Very sad to hear the news. I loved the Clangers, BAgpus, Noggin the Nog, and Ivor the engine as a child. They really did make 'em better in my day! I have just introduced my 2 year-old to these treasures of MY childhood, and I am very moved to hear of his demise. He was on the radio recently, and he was utterly charming and engaging. His voice in real life is just as infectious as in the wonderful programs he made. So incredibly inventive, making such masterpieces on such a shoestring. Sasha, my new recruit to the World of Postgate, is absolutely transfixed by every episode, jaw open, and wide-eyed. Those stories haven't dated one tiny little bit! I only just introduced him to Ivor the Engine on Saturday, and I absolutely loved seeing it again. Such memories . . . . . I loved the Fox-Hunt episode by the way. So much subtext under the dialogue! Dragons AND Steam-Trains in the same programme - just doesn't get much better when you are 2-and-a-bit . . . .  With Mr Postgate, there is enough humour and intrigue to capture the parents attention too! Modern kids programs are aimed purely at the children, and that duplicity of dialogue is sadly missing in nearly all the modern programs. - Except Charlie and Lola, which my wife and I both actually enjoy watching with him.
  Other Cross-generational favorites include Mary Mungo and Midge, Chigley, Trumpton, Camblewick Green, and Mr Ben, but even they don't manage to touch any Postgate productions which quite simply eclipse them all.

I really wish I had met him. I am certain that he had a twinkle in his eye, and a beguiling smile . . .

Cheers, Oliver, and thanks SOOOOO much,

ANdyP

SSLtech said:
My former avatar ('the Master' as played by Roger Delgado) once watched "the Clangers" as part of a Doctor Who episode... -I think it was Episode 1 of "the Sea Devils". -He heard the whistling and -in a brief semi-comic interlude- appeared to try to learn their language...

Hi Keith, and everyone ...

Yes, it was that episode! If you recall, he says something about having discovered an extra-terrestrial life form, to which Trenchard replies, 'They're only puppets, you know - for children!'

The wonderful look of disdain that The Master gives him is indelibly etched in my memory.

I too am saddened by the news, but 83 is indeed a good innings, and it will be a very long time before his work is forgotten.

Thanks Oliver!

Dan

Back