Optic fiber choice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diko2

Hi,

We ´re going to renovate our theatre and it’s time to put optic fiber every where.
The theater is large but not enough for being an issue for multimode fiber lentgh.

The question is: do you have an opinion on wich mode (single or multi) Will become a standard on futur times.

(Those fiber will be use only for audio and video connection for the shows not for building IT)

For now i’ve got some reviews that says « forgot the multimode because the singlemode is winning the game «

Any insideman advices?

Thanks

Diko

Whatever, but always run a spare fiber.

I've been in a situation where a mouse destroyed a fiber a couple hours before showtime.
Wired up a bunch of post production rooms on a film lot in town. Schedules changed and they sat unused for a year. When finally used, a ton of connections didn’t work. Rats were hungry.

@pucho812 That kinda reminds me of the time that (unbeknownst to me) some mice had chewed a hole in the wooden cabinet of our Echoplate. Drove me crazy for awhile as I tried to track down intermittent noises in the plate's return signal.

Bri

@pucho812 That kinda reminds me of the time that (unbeknownst to me) some mice had chewed a hole in the wooden cabinet of our Echoplate. Drove me crazy for awhile as I tried to track down intermittent noises in the plate's return signal.

Bri
at A&M studios, if you pissed off the tech staff, they would leave a portable radio in the plate room and then claim they don't know what's up.

at A&M studios, if you pissed off the tech staff, they would leave a portable radio in the plate room and then claim they don't know what's up.
Back in the early 80s when I was supporting Loft Consoles, I did my share of studio calls. For chuckles I would stand in the back of the control room when it full of punters and whistle quietly at around 10kHz-12kHz and see how long it took for the studio owner to dive for the control room volume to save his tweeters... ;)

JR

Back