Otari mtr90 MK1 , +24v and capstan card problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richiyobs

Hi folks,
i m richi form italy.
my old mtr90 died 3 years.ago the main problem is the +24v... for the moment. checked the psu also because +20v led was off too, but checking better only the led is burned, so +20v ok!
started removing cards, and find the broken one, the capstan control board. without that , + 24 turned on.
i found a brand new one, thinking to be lucky, but was wrong, same problem, voltage goes down, but the card seems not damaged.
i own the service manual , a huge file
https://we.tl/t-r0B9OjoHlpany suggestions please?
best regards
richi

Hi,
Please check MDA , In the middle of page 176.
The Motor drive is located on the rear top middle of machine.
And the capstan drive is in middle of heat-sink
Cheers.
P.

Yes it s alive!
I was very lucky... Rust at slot pins and unplugged wires on the back!
Now I m missing the alignment tape... Is it possible to proceed without that for proper calibration?
Thanks for your attention
Best regards
Richi

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_164054.jpg
    IMG_20220126_164054.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 11
Hi guys
Finally I found MRL tape.... But still in troubles
The tape was damaged... Pieces of tape glued to headstack and servos!
Spent all day cleaning both ones...
Since the tape is not in proper condition... Some time the voice and tones are pitched cause the spin slow... So found a balance between swing arm solenoid..... But after a bit the tape started to release the dirty again and the meter are not moving with 8k and upper tones but at the output I get signal .... Only 1k is fine.
Should be the damaged tape or the headstack?
If I use 1k @+4dBu from a generator and rec and repro on a standard tape everything is fine on meter
Thanks for your attention
Best regards
Richi

The tape is defective, do not use it! it is a file for the heads.
The remains of tape that come off and get stuck in the guides can damage the new tape if not cleaned well.
Buy a new one and clean well where it passes and rubs the tape.

Thanks for all your support...
That tape is in the trash!
At the moment I m using a generator for the 3 main tones @ 1.228v cause I will use the mtr90 with a custom ssl console that for sure is not 0.775v 600ohm ...
The console is not mine is located in the studio I m starting a cooperation...
The last time I used, maybe 2012... The levels were setted to - 3, running a TAC matchless but I think I was using a different tape with more headroom... Don t remember!
Am I doing it right?
Best
Richi

Latest posts

Back