parts not to use

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

I have been meaning to post about a part that alot of people seem to use here. A friend of mine that I help build and mantain two big petal boards etc has asked me to work on alot of his petals over the years.

http://www.chrisbuono.com/

The one I am fixing now is a lovetone ring stinger. Same problems as 4 or 5 other lovetones I have worked on, the loran rotary switch, and for you petal people the cheap (I don't know were they are made no markings)stomp switches

I install new lorans for the rotarys because thats all that fits, and carlings for the stomp.

I see alot of lorans used in pictures here in greens etc. I think it would be good for all of us if we can find a good not to expensive rotary. I like the cheap alpha ones better than the lorans. In petals the rotary might make a year with someone that plays alot.

Grayhills are nice, and has a solid feel to it. (But expensive).

The Lorans are plastic and doesn't feel dependable in the long run. We'll see how they last in my SSL.

You guys mean "Lorlin", right? I've used them in some stuff I built at work, but it hasn't been long enough for me to comment on their reliability.

I do like the cheap Alpha rotaries. They have a solid feel and they work great as long as you don't mind shooting a little DeOxit on the contacts every year or two. (Hey, even the wonderful old Davens had a removable cover so that you could clean the contacts every so often).

Digi-Key sells some CTS rotary?s that look promising for not too much more than the Lorlins and way cheaper than the Grayhills. I haven't tried them, but Scott Dorsey used them in his passive eq project. The non-shorting versions are 12 positions, but the shorting versions are only 11 positions.

I've used the CTS switches, and they're excellent. They feel much more solid than Lorlins.

Lorlin :?: Cheap., but usable... You must pay attention when soldering :!:
If you overheated, its unusable. Otherway works fine :wink:

Also, the Lorlins comes in different grades - silver, goldflash, and hardgold. For circuits exposed to small DC errors on the AC, silver does not work well over time. But for DC-free applications they do fine..

Jakob E.

FWIW The ones I removed seemed to lose contact pressure.

Jakob

The lovetone and other crazy petals he uses are on a big box that sits on a syth stand he controls them with his hands. There is another floor board full of petals . He is very carefull with his petals etc.

This is why I posted this If it was on the floor kicked around stuff one would expect thing to break from being stepped on.

Thanks I should have added that information about how the petal are treated to the first post .

Any reverse engineering on those Lovetone boxes? Particularly the Doppleganger, if he has it. (Phase shifter w/ two independent LFO's for low and hi, if I remember correctly.)

Bear

Back