Patchbay Layout

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zander

Hi,

I would like some feedback on this layout. Top patchbay is half-normalled. On the second patcbay the microphones are half-normalled and the rest is open.

Zander

49646-010615075556.png

Hey Zender
Don't you think your preamp output will be plugged in the AD most of the time ?
+ you just have the place in the first row to include "preamp out" in the "outboard out" section
Zam

zamproject said:
Don't you think your preamp output will be plugged in the AD most of the time ?
I'm mostly doing mix/post.

zamproject said:
+ you just have the place in the first row to include "preamp out" in the "outboard out" section

It's left open for outboard.

Thanks for answering.

The live room mics going into the mic pres  if they have a normal it should be a full normal not a half normal.  Either  the mic is going into that pre amp or it is not.  If you wish to split the signal, then you have to do things like mic splitter transformers.

pucho812 said:
The live room mics going into the mic pres  if they have a normal it should be a full normal not a half normal.  Either  the mic is going into that pre amp or it is not.  If you wish to split the signal, then you have to do things like mic splitter transformers.

Thank you. Stupid mistake!!

Zander said:
pucho812 said:

Thank you. Stupid mistake!!

And avoid sending +48 twice to a mic may be a good thing also! making normal pre to ADC is a good idea also.

JS

Definitely full normals for mic lines to pre's.  If it is a switchable Dsub bay you want to vertically strap the mic line/ pre sleeves and not bus them.  If it is a hardwire bay you want to do the same, connect top sleeve to bottom sleeve.  That will keep any phantom circuits from "sharing".
I have multed mics many times to steal P48 from one pre to power the mic and use a different floater/guest pre to amplify.  Some 4-way mults on the bay, and a couple polarity reverse might not hurt either.
Mike

I have another question regarding preamps that also have a DI input. Any common way for this. I have only one preamps which has it's DI on the frontpanel. The others have them on the back. I want to be able to track with the DI's in the recording room as well as in the control room. I was thinking of bringing all the DI's onto the patch bay and if the tracking is done in the control room I could solder a TT to TRS cable?

Zander

you can bring the di's up on the patchbay but how do you plan to go from the live room into the di's on the patchbay? 1/4" to xlr? watch your pin out, the di input will be unbalanced, the patchbay will be balanced.

pucho812 said:
you can bring the di's up on the patchbay but how do you plan to go from the live room into the di's on the patchbay? 1/4" to xlr? watch your pin out, the di input will be unbalanced, the patchbay will be balanced.

mmmm.... I thought it didn't matter that much? The unbalanced cable from the instrument goes into a balanced trs female receptacle (live room) which then goes to the patch bay. I thought I could strap the screen and the ring at the patch bay going to the DI?

pucho812 said:
yeah that should be fine. I was unaware of the female trs ion the live room. carry on.
thanks for reminding me! I would have gone with a balanced line to DI.

I have seen and read that some patch bays are earthed. I don't see why at the moment. If all screens are vertically connected there shouldn't be a problem?

More or less 5m from live room connectors to the patchbay. I don't think that should give much problems... The tracking room is small so no longer runs than 5m instrument cable will be needed. I have a pair of Bo Hansén's DI's if needed.

I don't see much DI Inputs labeled on patchbays. That's why I was thinking about this

IME it just isnt necessary to have a DI in a patchbay. Often when i use a DI its directly into the preamp and often from within the control room.
For instance; I had the bassist i recorded yesterday going both DI and mic'ed and we kept switching the DI preamps and messing with the Eq and different amp heads till we locked in what we could all agree on. All from within ten feet from the console and racks.
After a bit of tweaking the bass sounded great (which makes the player feel great) and leads to excellent recordings.
Which is what we got.
Running every DI to the patchbay would also just take unnecessary space (plus cabling aint cheap) thats better suited for outboard effects.

Thanks for your insight. Problem is we do some of our recording with the full band playing together...

Back