Patchbay w/Mults

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluezplaya

I’m looking to upgrade my patchbay for a smaller footprint in the rack and the option to set up some mults. My current set up is 5 Neutrik 1/4” 48-point patchbays. I have a 24 track 2” tape machine, 32 track converter, and 24 track console. My patchbays are half normaled and the signal flow is:

1A. Mic pre outs (rack pre) —>
1B. Tape in

2A. Tape out—>
2B. Console in

3A. Outboard comps, EQ, etc
3B. Outboard comps, EQ, etc

4A. Console insert send
4B. Console insert return

5A. DAW in
5B. DAW out

I want to upgrade to TT Bantam with solder tabs, and want to know if I can mult for purposes of ease when mixing and options between tracking to tape or digital. Currently, I have to manually patch 24 cables from tape out to DAW in when I dump tape to digital. Also, I have to manually patch those cables from DAW out to console in if I want to mix digital tracks on the console. And finally, if I want to skip tape all together, I manually patch from mic pre out to DAW in.

My console is a TAC Scorpion 32x8, so I’m limited on bus outs. Is there a way to wire up a new solder tab patchbay with mults to eliminate having to manually patch every time I want options? Or do I just have to deal with it? Any insight is appreciated.

You can passively mult line level without issue unless your doing something like multing 1 channel 24 times passively.
What I think would work best is to have the machines and console on elco aside from the patchbay. Then just patch whichever machine you want.

What I think would work best is to have the machines and console on elco aside from the patchbay. Then just patch whichever machine you want.
I’ve thought about doing this but with DB25. My console has DL connects that I adapted to db25 pigtails when I replaced my MM1200 tape with DB25 for avid interface. I got my mm1200 back a couple years ago and still have the harness but want to now make a db25 bay to use the machine of choice. As well as running through tape to daw for the tape tone.

Multipin EDAC/ELCO/DB25 is best for switching groups of channels, pick your favorite. You could either do snakes with male/female ends or make some rack panels and patch accordingly. The Redco UCP module system is a nice option for panels.

Also for TT patchbays having DB25 on the back makes life so much easier than soldering.

Latest posts

Back