Peavey MIDI bass data cable replacement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riley Casey

GDIY Supporter
A friend has a Peavey MIDI bass that she hasn't used since the 70s and wants to sell it. She can't find the MIDI data cable that connected the bass to the MIDI convertor module, a single rack space device. The connector appears to be a Neutrik ORP8M and the mating connectors would apparently be Neutrik OSC8F. These seem to still be off the shelf items. Is anyone familiar with this bass? All eight pins are carried thru to the motherboard but eight pins seems like a lot for a MIDI signal. Do I really need to find a 7 conductor cable plus shield to make this work for her?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• Peavy MIDI bass Ntrik front.jpeg
    Peavy MIDI bass Ntrik front.jpeg
    565 KB · Views: 1
  • PV MIDI bass Ntrik conn PCB.jpeg
    PV MIDI bass Ntrik conn PCB.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 1
  • PV MIDI bass Ntrk conn top.jpg
    PV MIDI bass Ntrk conn top.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 1
Well its connecting the bass to the MIDI generator, could be one output per string, then power, so I would say yes. Buy one of those old RS232 computer cables, that probably has 8 conductors plus shield, and they are cheap.

I don't know the details but remember when Steve Chick designed that.

Looking at the PCB on the back of the connector, every pin looks like it is connected to something so I'd go for connecting them all. The signal between the bass and the midi module is not digital midi, but detecting the bass guitar string plucks and fretting (don't ask me how exactly, perhaps a resistor divider).

JR

Latest posts

Back