"Phantom Power a Mic 6 Miles away??" - Video on Youtube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool experiment. A lot depends on the source impedance of the pink noise generator. This and the cable capacitance determine the turnover frequency. The Nuemann and AKG are likely also to be fairly low impedance sources but the SM58 will probably be higher.

I don't recognise the software he was using to measure frequency response and he should really be using white noise rather than pink.

Cheers

Ian

Professional applications use wireless for that much distance. Old movie work used special low impedance microphones (50 ohms) to deal with cable capacitance for miles long runs.

JR

PS; Dave Rat is popular in live sound reinforcement circles, just not high science.

Dave rat owns and operates “rat sound”.
They are a highly respected live sound company. They have profile clients and Dave himself is quite knowledgeable on the application side of audio and his videos are done well.

I have a few pet peeves about things he said over the years that I had to advise my customers to ignore (not going there). :rolleyes:
===
One thing that he pioneered of interest for price is no object, big dog live pa systems was running multiple speaker stacks on stage, one for each separate sound source (like one each for bass, drum, lead singer, etc). In theory and practice, this reduces cross modulation (?) from different loud sounds coming from the same speaker. There were other aspects of the rig wrt localization worth noting.

Of course way too expensive to consider for general sound reinforcement use, but worked for some of his deep pockets customers.

JR

I have a few pet peeves about things he said over the years that I had to advise my customers to ignore (not going there). :rolleyes:
===
One thing that he pioneered of interest for price is no object, big dog live pa systems was running multiple speaker stacks on stage, one for each separate sound source (like one each for bass, drum, lead singer, etc). In theory and practice, this reduces cross modulation (?) from different loud sounds coming from the same speaker. There were other aspects of the rig wrt localization worth noting.

Of course way too expensive to consider for general sound reinforcement use, but worked for some of his deep pockets customers.

JR
he does have clients/customers with deep pockets. Can't say everything he has said has been perfect but then again who is. I also haven't caught everything he has said either. of the videos I watched, I found them to be pretty good over all.

he does have clients/customers with deep pockets. Can't say everything he has said has been perfect but then again who is. I also haven't caught everything he has said either. of the videos I watched, I found them to be pretty good over all.
I bet he puts out a good sounding system but that easier to do on his end of the budget range.

JR

Dave Rat is popular in live sound reinforcement circles, just not high science
The video is certainly not high science, but still interesting.

I think it's a worst case scenario since the cable reels are all rolled up. Doesn't that increase losses?

I wasn't sure before if the U89 would still work. The Neumänner are sometimes very picky about phantom power.

Now we know.

Back in the 80s when I was stuck supporting midi communication for my day job, I experimented with sending serial midi data over long mic cables. I was pleasantly surpirsed by how far, the midi data could be sent... No not 6 miles. but hundreds of feet and that could be useful in a pinch..

JR

Cool experiment. A lot depends on the source impedance of the pink noise generator. This and the cable capacitance determine the turnover frequency. The Nuemann and AKG are likely also to be fairly low impedance sources but the SM58 will probably be higher.

I don't recognise the software he was using to measure frequency response and he should really be using white noise rather than pink.

Cheers

Ian
The software is called Smaart, it is pretty much standard in Live Audio for those who can't afford something like the Meyer Sound equivalent system.

The video is certainly not high science, but still interesting.

I think it's a worst case scenario since the cable reels are all rolled up. Doesn't that increase losses?

I wasn't sure before if the U89 would still work. The Neumänner are sometimes very picky about phantom power.

Now we know.

I've always been told to unroll. For power cables it's heat, for coax it's impedance.

But I've tried it with network cables and if these are decent quality, it doesn't affect TCP/IP performance. However, since AOIP has become in daily use, I see cable cropping up that works with one application and doesn't work at all with another. That's digital, of course.

It's just a showcase how far you can go with balanced analog. If I need to cover six miles, I'll use digital over an optical connection. MADI or ADAT.

Still interesting to watch and a simple way to test cables*. Make'm extremely long and see which one performs best.

*If you have plenty rolls on hand, like Dave. I've always liked Dave's way of testing, even if you could doubt some procedures, I think the results are valid.

Back