Video: Winding a Pultec EQP-1A power transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a good reason the 6.3VAC was not wound using two magnet wires at the same time?
CJ or anyone what type of safely leakage tests are done after winding a power transformer?
Is a Megger and/or hipot tester used?
I wonder what the Kapton tape thickness is and the adhesive type.

Good Lordy he used no layer insulation on the primary! WTF, jus saying...

Hi Pot should be 1500 volts between primary and core and secondary and heater wind.

I like using two wires for the heater as it lays flatter and requires less tension. This helps keep the secondary HV wind from getting smashed by the big heater wire.

And it is good to start the secondary with the CT, that way you have ground potential next to the primary instead of the high voltage AC starts.

You can also finish with a CT which means the entire HV secondary has a pseudo screen around it which might cut down on e fields escaping.
But this is not a good idea if the HV secondary is over 300 volts, ie a 400 volt sec will mean 800 volt layers next to each other.

The heater wind, if it has a CT is also a shield if wound on the outside which it usually is.

Last edited:
Dr.....

"make that for me and is certified by UL or some other regulatory agency."

You have more money than me! As John has clearly discussed here, that is a multi-thousand $$ process...

Bri

Latest posts

Back