phillips 6 foot delay EL6910

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKADEK

ray1.jpg

meet RAY. hes made in zurich early 60s as a reverb/p.a delay system.
i found him shoved at the back of ray's garage shed in 2000 and have rebuilt him slowly over the last years. the disk spins at 600 rpm (or 300) past an erase - record - and 4 playback heads ... which are set within a circular slot around the disk. the disk edge is oxide coated and the heads are carefully set 20/1000 " off the oxide surface. the 4 playback amplifiers are mixed and set to regenerate in an input/output/regen mixer to recording amp. there is a monitor amp and speaker as well.

i need advice regarding renewing the oxide surface. a paintable substance.
rayfront.jpg

what a cool machine :)))

there are not many producers of magnetic tapes left...you probably just need the stuff they use in production to repaint the magnetic surface...

I don't have any place to host the pics of mine that can be linked here so I've posted them in my yahoo photo's at

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bluesking2/detail?.dir=/75abre2&.dnm=ca49re2.jpg&.src=ph

Mine is a actual tape delay type L 6911 02

that is awesome! i thort there might be something like that around. full track 1/4"? does it go? i notice that its not threaded with anything.

It is full track 1/4". Oh, the full model number is EL6911(the e was very worn).

I paid $40 for it about 15 years ago. It does work(at least last time I turned it on). It's pretty noisy but that is probably the result of need to be recapped. Hopefully I'll get time to recap it sometime in the next 10 years :grin: It's a pretty cool delay. All the heads are moveable for different delay times.

I found more info on the el 6911 is available in an AES paper which costs $20 for non members to download.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=1102

that is one amazing echo. variable speed ? .... must be. is it a tube or transistor electronic chassis? was it made as a short delay i.e p.a. delay or as an studio echo device. heres the 6910 manual cover. i think the 6911 and the 6910 should meet and ... party one day.
revmainpage.jpg

[quote author="Twist Turner"]I paid $40 for it about 15 years ago.[/quote]
Makes me wonder what just the shipping from NL-->NZ would already have cost back then for such a beast :roll:

Back