pitch bend on tom

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
recorded same floor tom with 3 different pitch! resotune II used for tuning...
recordings turned out really really good! no pitch issues...
edit : grammer :)

Attachments

• 4thstreet.JPG
    4thstreet.JPG
    109.4 KB
kambo said:
recorded same floor tom with 3 different pitch! resotune II used for tuning...
recordings turned out really really good! no pitch issues...
edit : grammer :)
I gave up trying to convince drummers how much difference "clearing" lugs can make.

Glad it worked for you.

JR

Ok JR, how much did you pay Kambo.  ;D ;D

I'll have to scoop one of your gizmos once I start recording seriously again.  Question: some experienced guitarists can tune an acoustic guitar pretty darn well by ear, while the tone-deaf or causal player can't dial in the needed temperament. Do the same rules apply for drums or is finding the sweet spot more evasive?

Edit: I imagine most drummers don't know what they're missing until they hear 'cleared' heads from a device such as yours.

boji said:
Ok JR, how much did you pay Kambo.  ;D ;D
If i was going to pay somebody to talk up my product why do it here for a bunch of circuit design nerds?  Kam bought his unit just like all my other customers.
I'll have to scoop one of your gizmos once I start recording seriously again. 
get one before I drop dead...  8)

I have a number of studio customers. RESOTUNE can be useful when overdubbing a track months later to get the same drum sound (assuming you used RESOTUNE for the first session). If you have to change heads between takes, it's nice to match up seamlessly. 
Question: some experienced guitarists can tune an acoustic guitar pretty darn well by ear, while the tone-deaf or causal player can't dial in the needed temperament. Do the same rules apply for drums or is finding the sweet spot more evasive?
How much time do you have?

Tuning a guitar string is like a math equation with only one variable... make it tighter pitch goes up, looser pitch goes down. Drums have 6 to 8 lugs all tightening and loosening the same head. Imagine if all 6 guitar strings were tied together into a knot before stringing the guitar. Then the tuning pegs would interact with each other like drum lugs.  ::)

The lowest fundamental note is defined by the average tension of the entire head, but higher overtones/resonances are more local to each lug , and interact with each other so even if you know what sound you want to realize, you can still find yourself chasing your tail around the drumhead as lugs interact with each other. 

I figured out a way to minimize the interaction to make "clear" measurements that converge. Hint it takes two speakers one on each side of the lug being measured.  I tried to make RESOTUNE work using only one speaker (to make it smaller and lighter) but  the interaction between lugs returned.

Of course this is a simplification.. see https://circularscience.com/about-drums  for a few more words about how drums behave.
Edit: I imagine most drummers don't know what they're missing until they hear 'cleared' heads from a device such as yours.
I've known a few drummers who could clear a drum by ear.. (I can get one in the ball park... but not clear. ).  Prior to RESOTUNE, by ear was the only way to clear a drum. The better drum tuning aids can get you most of the way there, but you still had to use your ears for the final tweaking to get it clear (before RESOTUNE).

JR 

PS; Caveat emptor... I may just be saying all this to sell drum tuners.  8)

i can tune a tom by ear now,  i selfthough this while i was using resotune II :)
(Cha Ching $$$ - wouldnt be great everytime i said resotune II,  i get royalty ;D )
anyway, if u wanna tune ur drums to play Am u can do that...
i dont know if u can do this with iphone tuners this accurately... they are depending on how accurately
u r beating the skin, clearing the lugs with same impact!

kambo said:
how do i add mess to tom shell ?

anyway, got the Resotune II out...
did the full scan, find the note... it was C
tuned the tom to B+(slightly over B)
WOLLLAAAAAAA :)
i have perfect pitch with perfect tail :)
Any chance you kept before and after sound samples?

That voilà moment might be interesting.  I have a hard time describing what "clear" sounds like.

JR

i didnt record tuned version...
but, i can record something similar when i get  time next week!
can post some from  studio session too.

kambo said:
i didnt record tuned version...
but, i can record something similar when i get  time next week!
can post some from  studio session too.
If you still have the weird pitch bend sample a before/after version with that could be interesting...

Don't do any extra work for me... 8)

JR

Back